Chinese-Forums

Hellotalk app - downloading voice messages.

Flickserve

I just tried installed this app on android and still working my way around it. 

Is there any way to download the voice files from voice messages ? 

That would make it much easier to do repetitive listening and shadowing. 

This thread reminds me of one thing.

I've always wondered why there is no option to forward voice messages to other contacts on Wechat.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, I don't really understand what somebody said. Or I want to ask what my Chinese friends think of what this person said or his/her accent. If I really don't understand it and I really need to know, I would just ask the other person to type.  So it's not a big issue but still I would like to have such option.

• 7 months later...

I went back and tried to download some files to put into workaudiobook.

In the end, it wasn't an easy process

Android phone hellotalk:voices folder.

Transfer all files out into a dummy folder onto your desktop (when I open the folder in my smartphone, I can't find relevant file timestamp details but I can in windows if the files are in my PC)

Find the appropriate sound file guided by the date and time of the voice message from your hellotalk.

Transfer that into VLC to check if it is the correct sound file (other programs don't recognise the file)

Use VLC to convert the sound file into mp3 and resave.

This MP3 cannot be played in workaudiobook.

To get around this, I had to open the mp3 in adobe audition (opens and plays perfectly here) and then resave again as an mp3

This new mp3 can open in workaudiobook and be played.

The most recent files are not displayed in the voices folder. To access and copy the most recent files, the phone must be rebooted and you open the folder again from scratch.

Edited by Flickserve
additional clarity
  • Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 1:29 AM, Flickserve said:

The most recent files are not displayed in the voices folder. To access and copy the most recent files, the phone must be rebooted and you open the folder again from scratch.

That sounds strange. Try hitting refresh in your file explorer. It may be that each individual folder is not refreshed every time you view it. 

I was wondering about the same thing... on iOS, pressing and holding on an audio message brings up a little menu of icons including "share" which has quite a few options including save to files, save to soundcloud, send to a computer using Airdrop.  Does Android not have something similar?

Probably a nuisance if you have loads to download, but just now it was 2 taps and a file called hellotalk.wav appeared in the Downloads folder on my laptop. 

(Maybe this feature was added relatively recently?)

That's a pity. I ended up doing something similar on Android to get some files out of the Ximalaya app, and it was a lot of messing around, with the files sometimes appearing and sometimes not (using Android File Transfer and a USB cable). Even then the files looked to be in a weird format that needed converting. 

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

To transfer voice recordings from HelloTalk to your computer: save the recordings to Favourites (labelled 'Favorites') in 'Me'. Do this by tapping and holding on the recording then selecting Favorites in the pop up.

Next, connect to your computer, obviously allow it to read files etc, navigate to hellotalk --> ht_voices --> fav

There you will find those recordings.

Transfer them to your computer and play with Audacity. 

Rename as necessary.

I can't see a pattern in the way HT labels the recordings.

• Helpful 1

• 8 months later...