Chinese-Forums

Standard pronunciation of "a little"

Christa

5 hours ago, Dave1 said:

GregO - When I asked my friend about not using 儿 with people's titles, the way she said her answer implied that she recognized other people may think differently, but she thought 儿化 with people's titles was rude, so she doesn't.  I went with her personal observation since she is an educated polite person.  However, I don't know if her view is common/uncommon.   

Dave, I hear ya. I am not suggesting her observation is wrong or anything like that. It all just goes to show how wonderful this language is. China, like many places, is often much less homogeneous than I appreciate. 

Two words I have heard used repeatedly by a reader of audiobooks that I like, 仲维维, are 地方儿 and 天天儿。Obviously, these are very common words but I suspect it would be considered non standard to add the 儿...I may be wrong. In any case, I really like the 儿化音。 A fun podcast that is heavy on it and  北京话 is 糖蒜广播女子脱口秀- In case anyone is interested. They may have recently stopped broadcasting new episodes but there are many available.

• Like 1