Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
TheSonarChicken

Textbook to accompany Spoonfed Flash cards

TheSonarChicken

Hi all, I'm relearning Simplified Mandarin and have been using the Spoonfed Flash cards which I found to be very good. Now I need an appropriate beginner textbook to accompany it, to really emphasise grammar and vocabulary. (Or do I really need one?) I know there's a plethora of books out there including the Integrated series but Mandarin is so complex and there're so many choices.

It'd really help if there's a textbook series which goes from Beginner to Advanced.

I apparently tried to relearn Mandarin years ago but gave up... the evidence is my username registered in 2011.

Thanks! :)

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

stapler

Any textbook is fine. They’re all the same and none have a silver bullet. The time

you spend researching which textbook to use will be better spent focusing on actually using the cheapest or most convenient one you can find 

• Helpful 1

艾墨本

Go pick up integrated Chinese along with the accompanying workbook. It's well suited for self-study. If you can manage someone to tutor you once a week, the developing Chinese series is good.

alternatively:

1st Yr Chinese Grammar

Chinese Grammar Wiki

and YouTube

• Helpful 1

Shelley

Or of course there is New Practical Chinese Reader, I use it and find it very good for the self studier. There are also audio CDs, videos on YouTube, workbooks and an instructors book. The word lists are available to use in several other apps and resources such as Skritter just for example.

I have written more about it and how I use it along with other learning materials in my blog, Link at the bottom of this reply.

ChTTay

I second Intergrated Chinese. Fantastic books. I used the beginner series. They do get expensive though they are very well put together

TheSonarChicken

Hmmm I'll probably look into both the New Practical and Integrated Chinese textbooks.

Ah, I heard the NP and IC workbooks are only okay. Is that true and anyone have better books for workbooks and character writing?

ChTTay

IC workbooks are great. Done

TheSonarChicken

Okay, btw where do you find the answer key for the IC 3rd edition workbook?

Not going to get 4th ed:  The bookshops in my country don't have this yet and shipping will be pricey.

Shelley

If you are going to use IC then I suggest you have a look at the companion website here http://ic.cheng-tsui.com/

You gain access to the added content when you purchase a book.

There are flash cards, further learning materials and if I remember correctly answer keys.

• Helpful 1