Chinese-Forums

Jianshui Zhu Family Garden 建水朱家花园

abcdefg

Thanks, Alex. There were lots excellent wood carvings all throughout. I especially liked the carved wood doors. Another thing these gardens did well was their collection of bonsai trees 盆栽。

IMG_3312.thumb.JPG.3a1b0e3974ba2f73e6c48bc72898e1f8.JPG5a5ac75edd789_onlyallowed.thumb.JPG.0e9774e564bca5041380568f0948cc05.JPG

Looks like I will have to make a separate post out of that. Forum software this morning only allows a total of 0.19 MB for all attachments. I will try to contact one of the moderators to ask about this new policy.

• Like 1

Here's a look at the bonsai 盆栽。

Well, now the software won't allow the uploading of any more pictures, at least not by me. Not even the bonsai shot, 75 kb. 

----------------- 

I will contact the administrative staff. 

Silly forum software! 

I loved those carvings - thanks for sharing. I seem to recall sending my mother a text message after leaving the house that went something along the lines of "I want to build a Chinese classical home for myself!!"

• Like 1

Building a courtyard house like that must be a huge undertaking today. I did see some undergoing extensive renovation in Tuanshan Village 团山村, a few kilometers away. Went there one day by narrow-gauge train. Stopped by the famous double-dragon bridge 双龙桥 on the way. 

Will post pictures from there once I am given more space. Apparently I've hit my limit, but I've contacted Roddy to seek a remedy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuayangAcademy said:

Can you advise on travel from Kunming or is it better to hire a private bus?

We rode the train. Takes a little under 3 hours and a hard seat ticket costs 29 Yuan. Four trains a day, departing from the Kunming main station 昆明站。

If the students you are taking are new to China, riding the train could be part of their "getting to know the real China" experience, even though a chartered bus would be easier and more efficient. Train is a great place to strike up conversations with local people. 

• Helpful 1