Chinese-Forums

Demise of Perapera in Firefox

Shelley

With the latest update of Firefox Perapera has stopped working. After reverting to the old version of Firefox I have still been using it but I have found that I really needed to let Firefox update as some websites were besoming unusable.

So I went to Perapera's site to check if they had caught up with an update only to find that they have decided not continue supporting it and recommend Zhongwen pop up dictionary, so I have installed it and all seems ok.

So the point of this post - Perapera have said if anyone wants to undertake updating it they are welcome to do it.

Quote from their website:

Getting a lot of messages about Perapera for Firefox. The answer is that we are no longer updating it. The last update, we had to hire a freelancer to help fix some issues (no time these days) and barely anyone donated. I’m not sure why people stopped donating lately. I think we got about $40 and spent several hundred. I don’t say that to complain (and we don’t usually keep count anyways), but that’s basically why we are stopping the updates since it’s no longer feasible to continue them. Thank you for your support for all these years. The blog and the Chrome extensions are here to stay but Firefox just got too annoying.

If anyone wants to take it up on themselves to fix the Firefox add-on go ahead

https://github.com/peraperakun

Not sure why you might want to do it, for fun? to learn something? anyway just thought I would share it.

8 hours ago, dtcamero said:

its a better browser anyway

I disagree.  Chrome chews memory.  I typically have 40-50 tabs open at any one time, and Chrome can't deal with that very well at all.

Firefox is also considerably more pro-active at protecting user privacy than Chrome, which has a vested interest in *not* protecting your privacy given that the company that made it makes money by tracking everything you do and selling that information to advertisers (90% of all Google revenue is from advertising).

Being quite promiscuous when it comes to browsers, I've been enjoying the new Opera browser. It's come back ready to fight and looks better than ever. 

It doesn't have many extensions but it now has a key one (developed by Opera) that allows to download Chrome extensions directly from the Google Chrome store. It makes the  process as straightforward and fast as installing from Chrome itself, though one has to authorise each install separately - and there you see information on permissions. See here:

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/download-chrome-extension-9/?display=en

'

Not all Chrome extensions work in Opera but most of the ones I use, including Zhongwen and Flash Video Download, install and run without problems. Perapera was the only one that failed, but maybe just as well, when extensions are no longer developed they may become security hazards.