Chinese-Forums

Less conventional examples of tí (提) stroke, please!

Gharial

Can you think of any examples of the tí (提) or tick/check-like rightwards rising stroke that aren't part of other strokes or part of items potentially viewable/decomposable as radicals (regardless of position conventional or otherwise within a character)?

For example, 冰 is no use because that is 'ice' on the left there, and 竖提 is no good because it's a complex/compound stroke. I'm talking about just tí (提) "alone" yet as a component of a character.

Sorry for the possibly weird-sounding and somewhat badly-phrased question, but I have my reasons for asking.

提 is not a basic stroke. The five basic strokes are 橫, 竖, 撇, 点, 折. In Chinese dictionaries 提 is treated as a positional variant of either 横 (e.g. 刁 = 乛一) or 点 (e.g. 冫 = 丶丶). And "竖提" is a positional variant of 竖弯勾 which is a type of 折 (e.g. 切 = 一乛乛丿).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm reasonably familiar with how dictionaries classify basic strokes versus "variants" (and I'm not looking for anything too hidebound or WYSINWYG lol), but in terms of CDL (Character Description Language, see e.g. Wenlin and to some extent its collaborations with Unicode), tí (提) definitely gets its own code or abbreviation (as the initial letter of the relevant pinyin, i.e. T/t).

or 点 (e.g. 冫 = 丶丶)

That's kind of what I was getting at (but I'd express 冫 as simply ICE and [hopefully] be done with it) LOL.

I guess if there is no "independent" occurrence of the ti stroke "by itself" I'll simply relegate it to at most a passing mention in terms of ST or whatever (and the only relevant CDL codes I can see are for these 3 strokes: HZT, ST, and TN). Time will tell! Thanks again.

刁 is a good one, thanks again (I didn't pay it enough attention in your first reply!), as is 我 and 或 (I've never quite seen how 我 is treated as HAND, DAGGER-AXE, as that depends on there being an invisible dividing line midway along the H stroke to make the "two" components - much better then to follow e.g. Kanji ABC holistic treatment of it: http://www.kanjiabc.net/index.cgi?rm=glyph_info&lang=EN&id=1894 , especially if preserving and conveying proper stroke order is a concern). 习 though I'll view as HZG, ICE. Anyway it looks like the ti stroke is and will remain a necessary part of the inventory after all! :P Sorry for my feeble flickering failing brain (been busy and tired recently!). 8)