Chinese-Forums

BA Chinese Studies, University of Wales

Luxi

The University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, at Lampeter offers one of the few Chinese Studies programmes in the UK with a focus on China’s classical culture. 

The language modules start at beginners' level, whereas additional modules include some interesting special subjects.

"Building on a solid linguistic foundation in modern and classical Chinese, the Lampeter course focuses on the study of China’s history, philosophy, religions, film and literature, exploring how China has historically evolved to become the country it is today."

• Helpful 1

This is pretty cool. 

Faculty experience includes:

I am also working on sectarian religious texts, “Precious Scrolls” (baojuan 寶卷) from the Ming and Qing dynasties. A monograph with the working title Religious Text Production in Late Imperial China: Social, Religious, and Performative Aspects of Chinese Sectarian Scriptures from the 16th to 19th centuries will explore the manifold interactions between religious texts and their users during that time.

• MA in Screen Studies, University of Wales Lampeter, 2005, Distinction. Dissertation on the semiology of colour in the films of Zhang Yimou

In 2014, with the assistance of language teachers from Confucius Institute at the UWTSD, I have completed a series of nonverbal reading experiment from Phrase 1 of initial education to UG level in order to test the relation between language and thought. The result has been discussed in the paper ‘A Visual Approach and Semantic Activation in Learning to Read Chinese’ given in the 12th BCLTS conference.  

17 hours ago, Angelina said:

This is pretty cool.

Yes, quite an unusual CV. Explains the rather original modules in their BA programme. Modules on Chinese ghosts appeal me a  lot more than business and management modules.

I would have been very tempted to do an MA under a supervisor with that kind of background experience, even if Lampeter is something of a backwater.

2 hours ago, Luxi said:

even if Lampeter is something of a backwater

I'm sure when I was applying to university there was some joke about there being more sheep than people in Lampeter.

I believe they are strong in sports though.

On January 25, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Luxi said:

Modules on Chinese ghosts appeal me a  lot more than business and management modules.

I am interested in the 宝卷, I was first reading about the 变文, then discovered the 宝卷. 

On January 25, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Luxi said:

I would have been very tempted to do an MA under a supervisor with that kind of background experience, even if Lampeter is something of a backwater.

Yes, it is always the people that make the place. This looks like a decent place for a BA. Do they offer MA degrees? 

2 hours ago, Angelina said:

Do they offer MA degrees? 

Probably. I've seen some of their dissertations listed as references.

2 hours ago, Angelina said:

This looks like a decent place for a BA.

It's a quaint place, definitely more sheep than people (as most places in Wales). I'm sure the Uni is still full of character. Travelling to and from there isn't very good, though perhaps it has improved now.