Chinese-Forums

Train from Xi'an to Beijing at 清明节

dnevets

I'm planning to travel from Xi'an to Beijing, sleeper train, on 4/5th April. Just realised that 5th April is the first day of 清明节 / qingmingjie/tomb sweeping festival. Is that going to be difficult? I dont live in China any more, and I dont remember ever travelling around that time. Am I likely to encounter massive spring festival-sized crowds at the train station that'll take hours to wade through? We'll have luggage and two young kids with us...

Then planning to spend a couple of days in Beijing before flying back to the uk. I assume life in Beijing is pretty much business as usual at that time, wont have any problems taking the kids to the great wall etc? (Not badaling, obviously.) I used to live in Xi'an and dont remember anything being any different during this festival.

Edit: before considering the train i looked at flight prices on Qunar.com and noticed the prices almost tripled around this time compared to a week before (400 vs 1100 rmb) which made me start to worry.

Edited by dnevets
Extra info

I think any national holiday here will be busy. Even if it’s not “known” as a holiday that’s “crazy” like spring festival, this is still a country with a massive population. Any holiday means there should be a big enough number of people holidaying for it to be less convenient and more expensive to travel. 

I would take the fast fast train to Beijing though. There are ones for just 4.5 hours. You can buy tickets in advance on ctrip (and I guess qunar). I feel like the fast trains are always more comfortable during these periods. 

I don’t think stations will be busy like spring festival but they’ll be busier. As you mention, the price rise says a lot. 

Thanks for the input. I was actually hoping to take a sleeper train, I thought the kids might like it. I'll report back after I've done it, whatever I choose to do, in case it's of use to anyone else in future. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I think it will almost certainly be very crowded, and I guess train tickets will disappear very quickly after being put on sale. This is such a big problem in China that there are even apps you can download to help you snatch up a ticket within seconds of them becoming available.