Chinese-Forums

Correct measure word for 手机

Christa

9 hours ago, imron said:

It's more than that - multiple measure words could all be suitable depending on aspects of the noun that the speaker/writer is trying (consciously or subconsciously) to emphasize.

Consider:

A piece of paper.  A sheet of paper.  A slip of paper.

A piece of cake.  A slice of cake.

Neither of those are more correct than the other, but perhaps you'll get a different feeling about the size or characteristics of the paper or cake depending on which one is used.

It's the same thing with many measure words.  Several different measure words could all be 'correct', they'll just give you a slightly different perception of the object the speaker is talking about.

agree, my point was more that for many measure words, a certain factor of laziness pops in. I agree that some you definitely need like 一块儿蛋糕 rather than 一个蛋糕 to fit the situation. You might get an odd look in a coffee shop asking for the full cake :)

some measure words I wouldn't replace and don't hear anyone using 个 like 张照片, 被查,本书, 瓶啤酒. However I seem to notice that more people  more people in Beijing use say 再来一个 rather than 再来一瓶 when asking for another beer from the attendant. 

Christina, I'd also add that the MW is important especially when the noun is left out but context (as in my beer example above) is important to avoid confusion. 

33 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

agree, my point was more that for many measure words, a certain factor of laziness pops in.

Thank you for another thoughtful response.

So based on what you've just said, is saying something like 一个手机 (for example):

1. Lazy but correct.

2. Simply correct - but just one of several options.

3. Technically incorrect but no-one cares.