Chinese-Forums

我饿 VS 我饿了

JuanFelipeMartínez

Maybe a slight added emphasis with the second (我饿了。)

When my Kunming friends are really hungry, I often hear 我饿死了。

Some more polite local friends usually say 我肚子俄 or 我肚子饿了。It's not I who am hungry, it's only my stomach which is hungry. 

It sounds incomplete without the explicit SFP 了. Other SFP include 的吗吧呢呀啊…and a bunch of other variants commonly found in people's everyday conversations.

√ 我饿了。

√ 我饿!

√ 我好饿(啊)。

√ 我差点饿死。

??? 我饿。

Many variables influence people's judgment about the completeness of a sentence.

10 hours ago, 歐博思 said:

我餓 sounds more like complaining.

Yes! or they are expecting you to respond, do something to satisfy them. 

My girlfriend and her colleagues complain about their bosses wife who comes into the office and announces to everyone 我饿 at which point someone is reluctantly supposed to get up and offer to go to a canteen to buy her something . 

Reminds me of a spoilt young girl i know who does that exact same thing.

6 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

their bosses wife who comes into the office and announces to everyone 我饿

Does she say this exactly, or does she say 我很饿 (or something similar but with a character between 我 and 饿, or after 饿).  I agree with anonymoose that 我饿 by itself seems a bit strange.

4 hours ago, imron said:

Does she say this exactly, or does she say 我很饿 (or something similar but with a character between 我 and 饿, or after 饿).  I agree with anonymoose that 我饿 by itself seems a bit strange.

No 很 but I agree with you guys that it seems incomplete without a 了,and if so, grammatically it should ,have a 很 or some other appropriate adverb. That's what the grammar books with tell us.

Only reason I'm sure it she says it this way is that the others engage in a bit of imitating of it.

You might sometimes here someone just simply 饿 or 冷 etc without the 了Chinese can very efficient in their use of a language. Seems to be more common amongst younger people from what I notice and I get the impression the speaker is not wanting to engage in a lengthy conversation.