Chinese-Forums

The pronounciation of 逼婚

i__forget

Look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMc-SDbdcnE (first time I watch this guy) at 0:08 second he pronounces the word "逼婚". The way he pronounces it to my untrained ear sounds as bi4hui4. Based on this I couldn't find it in Pleco so after some time I managed to identify the word and realized the pinyin is actually "bi1hun1". 
Questions:
1. Am I corrent in my statement about bi4hui4? Does it sound to you as well like that?
2. Is his accent bad? Would you listen to him for listening practice?

Thanks!

孟天, while adorable and very fluent in Chinese, may also occasionally have tongue fumbles like the rest of us unfamous humans. That being said I didn’t really notice it and am not at a computer to pull the audio and run it through Praat.

I don’t hear a huì, I still hear hūn. I’m on the fence about whether I hear bì or bī but if you listen a few more seconds he says it very standardly right after.

Yeah, he says hun1 a bunch more times almost immediately after.  It could be a combination of him placing emphasis on it, and then the end being edited off - seems like they have some quick-fire editing all round.

I clearly hear two first tones. I can see (hear) why you hear huī instead of hūn: it's the way he stresses the syllable, making it almost hū-ēn, and then sort of letting the -n trail off. That's not wrong though, not sure if it's a local accent but it's perfectly good Chinese. (You can also see this in how 婚 is spelled in bopomofo: ㄏㄨㄣ, h-u-en.)

• Like 1