Chinese-Forums

Frost flower boy - hot social topic

Wippen (inactive)

A story that was hot on social media one month ago is relevant today given that 留守儿童 will probably get to spend time with their parents.

For those who have not read the story it is about a boy aged eight who has to walk a long way to school. With the weather turning harsh he arrived at school with a crown of snow on his head. The teacher snapped a photograph ( see link) and posted  刷屏it. then it went viral and it ended up resulting in new measures. Morale of the story is to help 留守儿童 and secondly we see how social media can play an important role in shedding light on issues.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/local/2018-01/11/c_1122240900.htm

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I found this interesting video from the South China Morning Post. I couldn't find this thread - that's because in English the boy is known as the 'Ice Boy' :)

https://www.scmp.com/video/china/2133426/extreme-poverty-china-family-portrait-ice-boy

I read somewhere that quite a lot of money was donated through social media when the story came out, but little of it went to the boy and his family.  The money was apparently put into  general fund to relieve poverty . Ah, yes... I wish I had taken note of that article.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luxi said:

because in English the boy is known as the 'Ice Boy

The Chinese term is 冰花  . My teacher explained that the shape of the frost flakes in China has a special meaning to Chinese people and is associated with positive things because (I think she said, maybe also sympbolic) it looks like a flower. Maybe a Chinese person can confirm. I am thinking my translation of "frost flower" now you say it may not be accurate.

Yes the fact that the story went viral meant extra measures were introduced. The relevant department in Kunming set up extra funds and also there was some private charity.

On a note aside, chairman Xi said in his (western ´)new year speech he was aiming to tackle poverty within three years ( I need to look up which word he used exactly , if it was "eradicate" or "tackle or "adress")

Edit: He used" win fight" 习近平在贺词中表示:“3年后如期打赢脱贫攻坚战 (Source China Daily)