Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Fred0

半生缘

Fred0

What a lot to learn from two paragraphs. Many thanks. 

I apologize for not having Pleco. I will get it as soon as it's available for Mac, which should be soon.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Fred0

Manlu is dying and has brought Manzhen's child which she has been raising to Manzhen, to tell her that she will have to marry Hongcai so she can raise the child after Manlu dies.

只有这一个办法,我死了你可以跟他结婚——”曼桢道:“这种话你就不要去说它了。我死也不会嫁给祝鸿才的。”曼璐却挣扎着把孩子抱了起来,送到曼桢跟前,叹息着道:“为来为去还不是为了他吗。你的心就这样狠!”

What does 为来为去 mean?  

Jim

It's coupled with the 为了他 that immediately follows and works primarily through the repetition of similar phrasing, means something along the lines of back-and-forth/round-and-round/for the sake of this or that etc but in the end it's all about him (the baby). 

• Helpful 1

Fred0

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks very much.

Jon Long

Hi, I made this online tool that displays all chapters of 《半生缘》(text from Luoxia.com) with pinyin annotation, dictionary/grammar lookup, and learning feature.

Attached is the screenshot when you hover over the word "杏".

By default all words show pinyin, but you can turn that off in settings. Then you can hover over any word to show pinyin, and if you click on a word to make it bold and make the pinyin stick.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 00.25.43.png

• Helpful 1

Fred0

Manlu is holding the baby. She has told Manzhen she is dying. She is choked up at the thought of having to leave the baby with no one to care for it. She says:

“我这时候死了,别的没什么丢不下的,就是不放心他。我真舍不得。”

I take 别的没什么丢不下的 to mean "there is nothing else (I) wouldn't (willingly)  abandon."  I'm taking 丢不下 to mean "would not abandon."  I this correct?

At the time that I die, I will have nothing that I wouldn't willingly to abandon. It's only It's only him that I am uneasy about. I really hate to part with him.

陳德聰

Pretty much. But there are some logical connections missing from your translation.

我這時候死了,...

*If* I die now, ...

別的...,就是...

It's a contrastive structure with the main clause in the post position, so the general meaning is really like "There's nothing much I can't leave behind, except him. I'm worried about him."

• Helpful 1

Fred0

Manzhen, on an impulse, followed some schoolboys into the longtang where she knew her four year-old son was being raised by Hongzai, her dead sister's widower, and the boy's father. By luck she runs into Hongzai's older daughter with the four year-old son in hand. Afterwards she is considering her good luck in seeing him but realizes that she can't go see him again.

这次总算运气,一走进去就看见了他。以后可不能再去了。多看见了也无益,徒然伤心罢了。

Does the last phrase mean it would be in vain for her to (try to) stop grieving, or that she couldn't see him again so she would stop grieving because she would be grieving in vain, or is ba here a final particle and the clause just means she would grieve in vain?  I favor this last reading.

Jim

罢了 is a particle and means "and nothing else" "nothing more than" so you're there or thereabouts; no profit in seeing more of him, all she would be doing is hurting herself for no good reason.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/罷了

• Helpful 1