Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Fred0

半生缘

Fred0

Zhang Mujin is Manzhen’s cousin who was a doctor and director of a hospital in Lu An when the Kumintang Army tried to arrest him, believing he collaborated with the Japanese invaders. He went into hiding, but the Kumintang caught his wife, who was a nurse at the hospital,  and tortured her to death. Shen Shijun, Manzhen’s former boyfriend knew Mujin during the time he was with Manzhen. Now years later, he runs into a woman named Yang who was a nurse at that hospital. She tells him about the torturing of Mujin’s wife. Shijun is shocked to learn of it. He:

他忽然发觉,那杨小姐正在那儿冲着他说话。他急忙定了定神。她在那儿问:“沈先生现在可听说,张医生现在在哪儿?”世钧道:“不知道。我还是好些年前看见他的。” 杨小姐道:“我就听见说他后来倒也出来了。那医院当然是没有了,给接收了去了。当初还不就是为了看中他们那个医院。”

I am having a hard time understanding these last sentences: Yang xiaojie said, “I heard that afterward he actually came back (out of hiding). That hospital was obviously no longer a functioning hospital. (Mujin was given an offer) to take over (接收)(another hospital) and went.  At that time he certainly did not have a preference for their (the Lu An) hospital.

Am I getting any of this right?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Jim

Reads more to me like this "The hospital was gone though, it had been taken over, didn't this all start because they had taken a liking to [i.e. wanted to get their hands on] that hospital." Does that fit the context? Vaguely recall you mentioning some other party having designs on the hospital in an earlier query.

Fred0

Yes, I also recall that detail, that the Koumintang wanted to take over the hospital building for their own use.  Your reading makes sense now.

In the sentence 当初还不就是为了看中他们那个医院 it appears that the subject 他们 follows the verb 看中. Am I right about that? How would you parse that sentence? Should 他们 be regarded as a kind of parenthetical expression with the actual subject being understood? 

Jim

当初 back when this started

还不就是 is it not (precisely) the case

为了 it was because

看中 [they (implicit)] had set their sights on

他们那个医院  that hospital of theirs - so the 他们 I take to be this Dr Zhang and his associates etc. - did he own it or run it or was a partner etc.?

• Helpful 1

Fred0

Excellent! That makes it clear. Thanks very much. A big help!   (Dr. Zhang was the director of the hospital, but it was the only hospital in a small town, so maybe 他们 refers to the townspeople as a whole.)