Chinese-Forums

Study tip: Use whiteboard to improve hanzi writing memory

Wippen (inactive)

26 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Sometimes I smash out the most embarrassing god-awful rubbish just to build a rhythm

I understand this, I do it too, I write a few of the character carefully and thoughtfully, then I do some quickly just to try and build up smooth flowing rhythm as you say then I do a few carefully again, I alternate a few times then I try to write as if I was writing English, trying to ignore the process and just go for it.

Stroke order is different for different styles, and in different periods throughout chinese history.

As for writing good looking characters, I feel like the Chinese thought process is different from when chinese people learn to write English. I see chinese people writing notes in beautiful calligraphic English, and think how strange it looks. Thus the opposite is true: a chinese person sees a foreigners writing in kiddie characters and feels uncomfortable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdamD said:

yours is a fantastic idea, and I'm tempted to go out and buy a tiny whiteboard just to try this.

I think I end up being more accurate with my placement of the hanzi. I also think about it more and try not to make mistakes. If I make a mistake I have to wipe if so it is in my interest to get it right first time. Also I stand from a distance and then revise and recite it so it obviously has to be accurate. If you use paper scraps you know you can just take a new one and re-do it.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:47 AM, DavyJonesLocker said:

I use a small white board to practice writing at home. About 800mm x 600mm I think. Allows me to sit on the sofa with a coffee practicing writing for 30 to 40 mins a day.

I used this method too. A private teacher who came to my house for lessons bought the whiteboard for me and left it behind when we eventually parted ways (in 2009 or thereabouts.)  

• Like 1

When I did practice writing Hanzi (because I had to for University) I found knowing the stroke order usually made writing the character flow better. Once you know the order in general, I found it much easier to guess how to write some easier characters which, in turn, made writing flow much more easily. With this, my speed of writing also increased. 

I also found that, at the level I was at at that time, our teachers could usually tell if you’d just made up an order. I don’t think they ever said it was “wrong” per se but certainly said it didn’t look right. 

I dont really see the point of setting out  to learn something (like writing hanzi) then knowingly learning it incorrectly. 

As someone else mentioned, I also don’t get any opportunity to write anything anymore apart from my Chinese name. A shame really. Next year I want to pick things up again. 

• Like 1