Chinese-Forums

Talking to lonely old Chinese people on the phone

Clarabelle

On 3/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, 大块头 said:

I've been volunteering as an English teacher there for a few months

Really laudable. What kind of things might you pick as topics? Is it just beginner levels? How are they reacting (I bet it is very fulfilling to do for you)

6 hours ago, Tøsen said:

Really laudable. What kind of things might you pick as topics? Is it just beginner levels? How are they reacting (I bet it is very fulfilling to do for you)

It's nice to help people, but the main thing I get out of it is a consistent block of speaking practice each week. I've had well over a dozen different language exchange partners over the years (mostly graduate students and visiting scholars), and it has always been a struggle to coordinate schedules. 

So far my classes have attracted about a dozen students each week, all with a very low level of English proficiency. We've mostly been doing lessons based on the first New Concept English book, but a couple weeks ago I taught them how to describe making dumplings - they really liked that topic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 大块头 said:

It's nice to help people

Agree. I am the disability representative at work and I feel the same way.

1 hour ago, 大块头 said:

So far my classes have attracted about a dozen students each week

That is really good going. Keep up the good work. The dumpling idea is really creative of you. They probably also feel they are helping you so it is a win-win.