Chinese-Forums

Applying to study Chinese (non-degree) in China

Eduu

• New Members

Hello Everyone,

I am so happy I found this amazing Forum! I can see that most of the people are applying for bachelors and masters degree. I am trying to find out how to apply through the CSC to study just the Chinese language, that is, I do not want to enroll myself into in any type of bachelors nor masters, and simply become advance in Chinese. I went to Fudan during a program organising with my university and studied Chinese over a year in my university. I also spent a year in Singapore. Currently, I am a final year business student at The University of Manchester.

I am struggling to find the relevant information here in Manchester so had to go to the Chinese embassy in London to find out more. First of all, I still don't know what program category I should choose: Program category Type A, B or C. Moreover, I do not know my agency number (I guess that it is the embassy in London). I sent them an email but they have not got back to me in a long time now.

Also, I am spanish, but as I currently live in Manchester, I was wondering if I should apply through the Chinese embassy based in Spain or The UK? I was going to do it through the one in The UK.

I was wondering if you could help me out. 

Thank you very much in advance!

Hello and welcome to the forums. I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question.

I do think that if you are going to be travelling on a Spanish passport that you should do things through the Chinese Embassy in Spain. It would probably cause less confusion and make things easier. There also may be more relevant information for you. It would be a shame if you found out everything at the Chinese Embassy in UK to only find out it doesn't apply to you.

I hope someone can answer your question about visas.

31 minutes ago, Shelley said:

It would probably cause less confusion

The embassy will know that Spain is in the EU. I don't see why they would be "confused".

I live in an EU Country which is not my home country and I often need visas for both Russia and China.  That is never a problem as they have a list of which countries are in the EU....

I mostly just have to give proof that I am entitled to live in the EU country where I am applying for the visa.

As long as UK is in the EU when you apply, I cannot see there would be a problem.

@Eduu

I don't have an answer to the degree question, ie which degree you should take, but I applied last year through the UK embassy with a Germany passport and it never came up as an issue. (I did take the CIS scholarship in the end but that had nothing to do with my passport.)

The agency number is the number/code for the university you're applying to, for Fudan that's 10246. I forget what the categories stand for but in last year's application I selected B which I believe is a full scholarship - I forget the rest. Maybe best to read the CSC page carefully again and find the best one for you.

Hope this helps!

A B and C is about where you gonna send your documents / who gonna review your documents. 

A is sending documents to Chinese embassy in your home country - They will review your paper. 

B is sending documents to the University you pick - University will review the paper 

C is ...something that I can not recall ... 

In the same topic, do you know any schools that provide Chinese language course without the degree ? I just want to study Chinese without any master or Ph.D degree. Any help is much appreciated. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, khang_ha711 said:

In the same topic, do you know any schools that provide Chinese language course without the degree ? I just want to study Chinese without any master or Ph.D degree. Any help is much appreciated. 

Harbin Institute of Technology offers a non-degree program.  I am sure there are lots of other schools that do also, but HIT is the only one I have personal experience of

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, khang_ha711 said:

Are you recommend this University? I am still in the process of choosing the right cities. Been thinking abt big cities like shanghaj Beining Nanjing for job opportunities later... 

Yes I can recommend it.  I am studying there now, but I have transferred to the degree program.  If you want further info then let me know!  I don't have much experience job hunting in China, nor am I really in a place to compare cities, but there's lots of great places you can go.