Chinese-Forums

Using 好 instead of 很 - is it a regional thing?

Christa

Using 好 instead of 很 - is it a regional thing? Or is it used everywhere and the substitution is due simply to a difference in meaning between the two (one being "so" and the other a weak "very")? 

And is this done everywhere? Or is the practice influenced by southern dialects and little used in the north?

Yes, it is done everywhere, though southerners tend to use it more based from my experience.

I think 很 is more objective, while 好 is more subjective and has some emotional sense in it. Like when you say 今天天气很热 compared to 今天天气好热(啊). 

And I think this use of 好 is used more in speaking than in writing, and could sound cute. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It depends.

As jobm correctly pointed out, 好 is a degree adverb that also carries emotion. (《现代汉语词典》 sense ⒁)

This usage is pretty standard.

But there are situations in which northerners would never use 好, for example, 你對我好好, unless they wanted to affect a 港臺腔 or simply be cute.

The indiscriminate use of 好 is a sign that the speaker's native language is one of the southern varieties of Chinese, e.g., Cantonese.

You seldom if ever use 很 in Cantonese:

一直佢都好支持我 = 他一直都很支持我

我都好鍾意呢件 = 我也很喜歡這件

好好食/好好味呀 = 真好吃啊

好得意呀 = 好可愛啊

我好好,你呢 = 我很好,你呢 = I'm fine. And you?

(As any student of Mandarin would have learned very early on, 很 does not always mean 'very'. Oftentimes it just links a predicate adjective to the noun it modifies. Because *我好 is ungrammatical except when there is a contrast, 我好,你不好. This function is also carried out by 好 in Cantonese.)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

7 hours ago, jobm said:

Yes, it is done everywhere, though southerners tend to use it more based from my experience.

I think 很 is more objective, while 好 is more subjective and has some emotional sense in it. Like when you say 今天天气很热 compared to 今天天气好热(啊). 

And I think this use of 好 is used more in speaking than in writing, and could sound cute. 

4 hours ago, Publius said:

As jobm correctly pointed out, 好 is a degree adverb that also carries emotion. (《现代汉语词典》 sense ⒁)

This usage is pretty standard.

But there are situations in which northerners would never use 好, for example, 你對我好好, unless they wanted to affect a 港臺腔 or simply be cute.

These are really good, really interesting explanations. Based on this, do you think that sayings such as 好久不见 have their origin in southern Chinese dialects?

14 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I agree, southerners use 好 more than northerns. 好 sounds a bit feminine when  a guy is using it especially in the north. 

So, northerners do use it, but not as much?

How would you translate 好 used in this way? As "so"?

Same reasons as the guys above . Saying 我好累seems a bit effeminate for a guy to say. I have heard more than a few Chinese telling me I sound like a soppy Taiwanese boy  when I say this so basically stopped using it. 

One of the issues learning Chinese for a guy is that the vast majority of teachers are female so their natural language tends to rub off on you.

• Helpful 1