Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

@SummerjazI agree with Aya. You should politely ask them to forward your application to your first choice university. I applied on the deadline for Shanghai Jiaotong and I was e-mailing my CI to forward the application on the day. They sent it back two times as I did not fill in the application form properly and it was forwarded in the nick of time to SJTU. Also, all universities have deadlines and I am pretty sure they are before 01 June .. SJTU: 15 May, Fudan: 20 May, ECNU: 01 June, etc..

• New Members

@pan.kasper OK I understand. I see when applying there is a choice for either semester, do you know if you apply for one semester and then need to defer to the next, is this possible?

• New Members

Hello everyone! Great thread on here. 

Sorry for the random post. I've been lurking here for a little while. I've just decided that I'd like to return to China to study, but it looks like I've missed the boat for this year! I'm currently based in Vietnam, and am around HSK2/3 level. 

Debating returning to London in order to restart lessons properly and take a higher HSK level before being able to apply for scholarships such as these. 

Does anyone know of scholarships which are still open, or ones which don't require HSK/HSKK? Many thanks everyone for your informative posts!

Hello guys 

I have an issue, my application has been sent to my second choice university because it has passed the time limit(超过时限) which is because my first choice university will only start enrolling in June. Is there something I can do about it? I would like my application to be sent back but is it possible?

And who should I ask to send it back? Because it seems like I can't be asking the second choice university to send me back I feel like that could be disrespectful to them. 

• Like 1

@Niki_Hay Do you necessarily have to go back to the UK to do that? You could take online lessons (like I do via italki), use a textbook, get language partners in Vietnam, go to the Confucius Institute there (I'm assuming there is one?). I don't have any enlightening information regarding your questions though, sorry!

• Thanks 1

@Aya G. I think you will have to bite the bullet and see if your second choice university accepts you or not. That's why we have two choices, to have two chances. If both universities do not accept you, then Hanban decides for you. That's only if you allowed them to so in the application form (there is a question for that).

8 hours ago, Niki_Hay said:

Does anyone know of scholarships which are still open, or ones which don't require HSK/HSKK?

The other major scholarship (CSC) does not require HSK results but the deadline has passed so you need to wait until early next year to apply. There may be scholarships offered by individual universities but you need to apply to them directly.

As for the CI Scholarship, the deadline for a March 2019 start is 20 December 2018 so it is possible to apply for one semester if you pass the HSK 3 and HSKK beginner exams soon.

• Thanks 1

@芒果乾 the thing is I sent an email to my first choice and they said they didn't know that there is a time limit and that they still haven't checked my application (they will only start enrolling students after their deadline) that means I didn't even take my chance with them and that upsets me lol... I emailed my second choice and asked if they can send back my application, hopefully they will, I know people who got their application sent back, and I will apply again. 

• New Members

Do you necessarily have to go back to the UK to do that? You could take online lessons (like I do via italki), use a textbook, get language partners in Vietnam, go to the Confucius Institute there (I'm assuming there is one?). I don't have any enlightening information regarding your questions though, sorry!

@MaxETit

Oh, very good point about online lessons, I hadn't really looked into that. I've tried finding language partners a couple of times, but it hasn't really worked or lasted. There is indeed a Confucius institute in Hanoi, but it doesn't seem to be very active, I think it just operates within a university, and doesn't seem to deal with expat learners of Mandarin, though I'll try again. Cheers for the ideas!

PS, I'm currently in Vietnam on a temporary basis anyway, so don't worry, I wasn't going to do anything dramatic like leave a good job or permanent life here behind for the sake of starting some new Mandarin lesson! :P  

@Aya G. I am a bit lost now :oops: LOL.

If you are referring to "time limit" as in deadline, then each individual university has its own deadline. That's why I mentioned before that I told my CI to forward my application to SJTU by the deadline. After the university receives the application (stage 3), they "pre-admit" students if they accept their application (stage 4). SJTU sent me an e-mail to confirm my e-mail address so I am partially registered on their system now. 

I would put the blame on your first choice university not knowing what they are doing. Enrolling only happens after you have been offered a scholarship, not during the application stage. If you manage to get your application back to stage 1, do you know the deadlines for the universities?

@芒果乾  no I didn't mean that. Apparently there is a new regulation by 汉办 which is if your application stays for 20 days at your first choice university without being reviewed (without being accepted nor rejected) it will automatically be sent to your second choice. Still not all universities teachers are aware of this regulation which... I don't understand how?! And my university deadline is still 10 June,and they only start enrolling students after the deadline and I applied early, cause I thought it would give me a better chance but now I kinda wish I didn't ?

@Aya G. OK, now I understand! You mean the university reviews applications after the deadline rather than review it when it is forwarded to them. If that is the case, then yes, ask the second choice university kindly.. but be aware you run the risk of offending the second choice university in the process. They say the early bird catches the worm, but not in the case of Confucius Institute Scholarship applications :lol:

• New Members

Hi dear all,

One of my friends was claiming that if you reach stage 4 you basically got the scholarship.

Apparently stage 5 is only a formality of Hanban. Just very rarely in special cases they can still cancel the scholarship (misconduct, etc..).

Anyone who knows more about this?

Is it a true, or just a rumour?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm doing an exchange year at Fudan (it's already been confirmed and I'm unable to change it because my university is the final decider), when I applied for the scholarship I put Fudan as my first choice and Nanjing as my second (just because I had to put a second choice) and today I received an email from Nanjing university saying congratulations on my application and invited me for a skype interview. Does anyone know if this means I haven't been successful for my first choice uni if my second choice has contacted me? I haven't heard anything back from Fudan...