Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

Great stuff... Early today i received an email from Beida that said the problem has been resolved and the application would have to be resubmitted. I thought, nice, i've already done that. Checked the CI status, I was still at stage 3. Then I wake up and I've been kicked back to number one for the same reason. 

Hey everyone, I finally applied for the semester study (did not even change my application letter) just chose other universities (less popular ones) and my application has been on stage 3 since this Wednesday. Hopefully, it will work like that and there are some semester scholarships left, but I have quite a presentiment about this. 

The above email seems from the horses mouth. Expect a higher HSK requirement next year probably.

I know some of you are a frustrated but.. The 1 year scholarship is probably of a value of around £/€ 10k when you add it all up.

The one semester scholarship is still very good offer if you consider what is being given away.

I was rejected from a similar scholarship from a different source before, so I know the feeling after the work applying.. but you just have to keep pushing towards your goals the best way you can.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pan.kasper said:

I don't know if that's helpful, but I remember emailing the university of my first choice about quotas few weeks ago (just before submitting my application)

Despite the official advice to not contact universities directly, I can only assume the fact you applied to universities who were active in responding to your emails meant they were quicker to confirm your place with Hanban.

I think those who were already on stage 4 before Hanban filled up their quota need not worry, you were one of the lucky ones that managed to make it through in time I think. 

To the rest of us, we did everything we could, it’s just a shame their system let us down, good luck with whatever you decide to do next!

• Like 2

@lewbomear I applied to BLCU first choice then BFSU second choice. Perhaps my saving grace was that BLCU seems pretty good at responding to emails; maybe I just snuck in. I’m still quite surprised how many people this has happened to. Nevertheless, I hope you have more luck with the one semester scholarship, which is still a good deal. If you stay for a year anyway then it’s like getting the whole thing half price.... sort of!

14 minutes ago, MaxETit said:

Nevertheless, I hope you have more luck with the one semester scholarship, which is still a good deal. If you stay for a year anyway then it’s like getting the whole thing half price.... sort of!

I imagine anyone who wants some Chinese immersion and language learning opportunity could make good progress in 5 months. 2 years ago I was going to apply for one semester scholarship and met the requirements for HSK2 and HSKK then the following year they increased the requirement to HSK3 which I didn't have time to obtain before the deadline. I sort of felt it was a bit like carrot on a stick, but I'm glad it gave me something to work towards anyway.

Learning Chinese is a marathon, if you are committed to continue learning long term you will find your opportunity eventually.

• New Members
3 hours ago, m.lee said:

Does anyone know if you are going for the full year, are you allowed to apply for the one semester scholarship

On 30th of this month which is the day of the interview with fudan university first thing that they tell me..that I have been rejected by hanban for one year so they suggested or even pushed me to decided immediately if I am ok with one semester i was so choked by this news coz I didn't know before ..and if I decided to change the scholarship then I should change it the day after or on the day of the interview so I just answered by yes ..so after I just ask my CI and they said that there is so many university rejected so many applicants for one year scholarship and they advised me to change it to one S then my teacher ask me if i have been before in China I said yes but just for summer camps which is just for 2 weeks so she said that's OK i can apply because the visa isn't X1 or X2..So I just change it on the same day to one semester the day after which is 31 I checked the CI status and  was at stage 4 ..

@安妮 so are you still doing one full year at fudan? I’m not sure how it works, I have a place at fudan for the full year but if I apply for the one semester scholarship, does that mean my place gets changed to one semester? Because it’s a requirement of my degree to do one year in China so I’d rather not apply for a one semester scholarship if it means I’m not allowed to stay for two.

Also it says “those withholding x1 visa or x2 are not eligible”, by that do they mean those who are going to have the x1 or x2 visa cannot apply? Or those who do not have it cannot apply? I’m really confused 

• New Members
56 minutes ago, m.lee said:

Also it says “those withholding x1 visa or x2 are not eligible”, by that do they mean those who are going to have the x1 or x2 visa cannot apply? Or those who do not have it cannot apply? I’m really confused 

No I'm not still available for one year because they ask me at the moment of the interview if I'm OK with one semester so if I'm not I must just give up so one semester or nothing ..because as you know one year scholarship is full so I just answered by yes which is one semester so then they ask me to resubmitting my application from the beginning and do not change anything just from one year to one semester then i informed the senior project manager from Confucius institute of fudan university that I change it as they tell me from one year scholarship to one semester ..So the day after 31th they changed my stage from 3 to 4 ..

And for visa if u have been in China for more than one month then u can't apply coz u already had X1 so for  those withholding x1 visa or x2 are not eligible mean that applicants who have already been in China for whatever the reason art not eligible just for this scholarship {one semester} for the rest of the scholarships are eligible so no problems with people who applied for example for one year and they have been before in China ..

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, AaronUK said:

Despite the official advice to not contact universities directly, I can only assume the fact you applied to universities who were active in responding to your emails meant they were quicker to confirm your place with Hanban.

I didn't know about this. I also contacted the universities I was interested in before submitting my application because the application procedure said "a) For major training plans and courses, please contact designated host institutions." This is how I found out Fudan couldn't admit me for one year if I only had HSK 3. They said they only had MTCSOL.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:13 AM, 地球人 said:

So does anyone know of any student who actually got the one year scholarship, or is at least on stage 4?

I'm still on stage 4 right now. Been there since April 28, although somehow, I don't think when you got there makes a difference. It seems pretty all over the place!

• Like 1

Hi all! Newcomer here.

I was looking for any idea of when we will reach stage 5 because my university (上海大学) was saying that may even be on 15 JULY !!! 

That's really anoying to feel that uncertainty coz i need to quit my job and i can't do it until I'm sure that I get the scholarship. 

I can say that i had no big troubles with one-year language program and I'm stuck on stage 4 since 11 May... 2 month of painfull awaiting.

I wish you all to finally get CIS and see you there !

12 minutes ago, CriquetKhan said:

That's really anoying to feel that uncertainty coz i need to quit my job and i can't do it until I'm sure that I get the scholarship.

If you have a long notice period before you leave perhaps you can book Leave for the last week of August and two first weeks of September to give yourself easier chance to get away in time 

30 minutes ago, AaronUK said:

If you have a long notice period before you leave perhaps you can book Leave for the last week of August and two first weeks of September to give yourself easier chance to get away in time 

Na, it's not a notice period problem but just quit feeling that everything is well (with the job and with my team) giving them more time to reorganize.

At least I can understand that if i reached 4 and had no problems I probably will be lucky ^^

I'll keep in touch !

• Like 1