Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

1 hour ago, pan.kasper said:

Wow, that's awfully long. I've heard there might be an online certificate available some time after the exam, is that true?

Nope, just the exam results on the web page.

• New Members

If I apply to start in March 2019 can I still do the 1 year academic study or only 6 months? When can I apply for March 2019? When does the December 2018 course start? As I'm busy until the 20th of December.

I hope everyone's applications are progressing well! Mine has reached the fourth stage, I think this means the university has admitted me, but does it also mean I have secured the scholarship? or does Hanban still have to make the final decision as to weather or not they think I deserve a scholarship over other applicants?

I don't have any other plans for next year so im really tearing my hair out over this application process haha 

blob.thumb.png.29859a92b3e28b8c0317434d1dd64da8.png

Thank you xo

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

• New Members

Hi!

I want to apply for a one-year Chinese program in one of the Chinese universities . I’m a student of Confucius Institute . I have a HSK3 ( 291 points ) and HSKK Beginner ( 80 points ) , I want to know some information about east China normal university and northwest university of China . And do these universities are easy to be admitted in or not? 

And do these universities make an interview before admission or not? 

And if there any recommendations of other universities that is good and easy to be admitted in please told me..

Thanks in advance

@jackbilton it seems like it's almost sure that you will get it. Heard of the few cases that people were sent back to stage 1 from stage 4 but it's extremely rare. So anyway, good job :) I am still waiting for the paper results to even start my application.

@Salmaibrahem20798East China Normal University is a great school, no doubt about that. Whether it is hard to get admitted there is a different story, what you should do is to send them an email or if you have any Chinese friend try to give them a call. Tell them your results and perhaps they can even pre-admit you. Generally, sending emails can be really helpful. That's what I did, I asked several universities if it's not too late to apply mid-May cause that's when my results are coming and most of them said it's fine

• New Members
1 hour ago, pan.kasper said:

East China Normal University is a great school, no doubt about that. Whether it is hard to get admitted there is a different story, what you should do is to send them an email or if you have any Chinese friend try to give them a call. Tell them your results and perhaps they can even pre-admit you. Generally, sending emails can be really helpful. That's what I did, I asked several universities if it's not too late to apply mid-May cause that's when my results are coming and most of them said it's fine

I have sent them several emails before asking them about the university and the dorm and pocket money and... and they replied all my emails but last time I sent them email asked them if they will admit me or not, but they haven’t replied yet , and I’m so afraid of losing the scholarship 

@Salmaibrahem20798 Oh yes, trust me, it's a nervous process for all of us, trust me. Although I got 296 on HSK3 and 82 on HSKK I am still not certain of getting the scholarship. Right now I am still waiting for my paper certificate that will come in two weeks, who knows if it's not gonna be too late and if all good places won't be filled up. Also, I am not a student of Confucius Institute, I have literally no Chinese background except for self-studying and my major at uni was Law, nothing related to China. Although officially none of those is required, I heard many opinions that they generally prefer CI students than no-CI students. And also my last name contains a special character "ę" and I cannot find information anywhere whether I should put it in my application (as it has to be exactly same as in the passport) or just as "e" (as special characters tend to create problems on the applications in general). Anybody got any idea?

As you see, we are all really stressed here, but it's part of the process, I read the threads from previous years and it was even worse, people got their application revoked from stage 4 to stage 1 etc. 

Have you started your application yet? Did you get your paper certificates of results and the recommendation letter from CI?

@Veronica Peña There is also a Chinese Government Scholarship, but i am pretty sure the deadline for that has passed long ago. Alternatively, you can try to apply for a scholarship offered by a particular university, almost all of them have something, or a scholarship offered by a particular city/province/state. There's plenty of options, it's just that CI and CSC are the most popular and i never heard of anyone applying for other ones. But since they are there, probably possible to get it and absolutely worth trying.

Why would you think that your CI will not give you the recommendation? Is that what they told you? Where is your CI located?

• Helpful 1

Does anyone know How long does it take to reach the fourth stage ? I'm a little bit afraid because I emailed the university but they didn't answer my questions ,and now even though I already applied for them they didn't answer me or send any email , and now I'm trapped in the third stage. 

Should be no more than 2 weeks, I think they push people every two weeks in a batch but i'm not sure whether that is from stage 3 to 4 or 4 to 5

But at least you submitted your application, i still can't do that cause my certificate with exam results hasn't arrived by the post :/

don't worry , I guess the paper certificate will arrive way earlier than 20june . and I recommend you to upload all the other papers now and save them  and write your essay very carefully it's so so important , you can write  how much u are interested in chinese and how much efforts u make to study it by yourself and It would be much easier to study in china . and if u need any help u can freely ask me. good luck :D

Yes, I have already prepared and submitted all papers online, everything I could at least, still waiting for recommendation and certificate :) Although I am a little worried that universities of my choice will be full before I finally submit, apparently they tend to get full by the end of May. This is all an incredibly stressful process haha

@Veronica Peña Amazing!! Nankai is a great school as a first choice, heard many good opinions about it. As your second choice it is probably wise to chose a little less famous university, just in case, so you are not rejected by both. Also, you can tick an option that you want to be studying in the university that Hanban recommends you if the first two don't accept your application (what practically means that you will land in random ones if first two don't want you) 

• Helpful 1

@Veronica Peña No worries, it's important for us to be able to help each other. Regarding the university, it is wise to choose a lower ranked university as your second choice to increase your odds of getting a place (though you still can tick that option for people who were not accepted by the first two universities). Tianjin Foreign Studies University may be a great choice, as it's not among the top universities and therefore getting there should be reasonably easier. Further, it doesn't mean that the quality of teaching will be any lower, I've heard some people complaining about it in some top universities while often other people who want to some really low ranked unis actually claimed the program was performed really great by the teachers. 

This year there seems to be very few people in the CI scholarship forums. I am going for my second scholarship since last year I got the one-semester one and this time I want the one-year one (since I passed hsk 4 in China). My CI already recommended me. Now I'm starting the process of filling up the forms... Anyone knows the difference between the TCSOL and the Chinese language course? I can't decide between the two. Also, until last year the 1-year scholarship included flight tickets. Apparently this year it doesn't?

• Good question! 1