Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

Congratulations to everyone and such a relief to finally hear.

For those of us with slower universities (my university said I should not expect to receive my admission letter and Visa letter until August) would you mind sharing us exactly what the package contains? 

I know that each university may be different and whether you need a health check depends on your country of origin and also the length of time you plan to study, but is there things we can start actioning now for those of us who are waiting for our packages?

I am so keen to just get over there after this nerve-wracking process!

• Good question! 1

@XJ great question. My university also informed me that the delivery will only arrive in late July or early August. It would be great to know what exactly is inside, so maybe we can already start some preparations

When will you guys buy the tickets? 

Is it a good idea to buy it after knowing the registration day at my university, or is it better to wait for the admission letter to arrive? 

The only problem is that the tickets keep getting more expensive. 

• Like 1

@Aya G. That's another thing to consider. It is probably worth to book the tickets as early as possible, but it's also a little dangerous - what if something happens and we can't get a visa/other problems. I think I am going to wait a week or two and then book the tickets, even if the documents don't arrive yet. 

1 hour ago, pan.kasper said:

@Aya G. That's another thing to consider. It is probably worth to book the tickets as early as possible, but it's also a little dangerous - what if something happens and we can't get a visa/other problems. I think I am going to wait a week or two and then book the tickets, even if the documents don't arrive yet. 

@pan.kasperIf you are in UK you should book your visa appointment first and early since the open visa appointment slots are 20 days away. http://www.visaforchina.org/ Possible there could be 3 week wait for an open slot at other places too.. plus 5 days to process. So possible its worth booking even while you are still getting your other documents together.

@AaronUK Unfortunately, I'm just moving out of the UK now, going back to my home country. It's a bit problematic, as I put my UK address for delivery of the documents in my CIS application, but I emailed my uni and they told me they will send the documents to the new address. Anyway, they told me to expect it to arrive late July or early August, so it's way too early now to book an appointment - there is a risk that by the time the documents did not arrive yet from China. But generally you are right, I will probably book a meeting on 3rd week of July if that takes around 3 to 4 weeks of waiting.

Btw, did all of you guys have to register on the website of your unis or is it just some? Cause nobody asked me to register anywhere

I really don't understand what's going on this year!! I applied on 15 of May.. Moved to step3 on 20 of May. Moved to step 4 on 25 of may. Then they returned me back to step 3 at 22th of june :( :(

Yesterday some of my friends moved to step 5 and got the approval. Now I'm still at step 3 :(

In my case it's only two papers, the university admission form and the studies in China form. Both are needed to get the  visa done. I'll be booking the plane tickets soon, I'll ask for the schedule so I can know when the admission day is. But it's usually the first days of September,  so I'll just look for the cheapest flight end of August. The problem for one year scholarship, is that I can't book the return trip since it's so far away in time, so I'm planning on buying a return trip for February and then change it (paying the change fee). It's still much cheaper than buying two separate flights.

• Thanks 1

@Reem279 I'm really sorry to hear that, i hope it will be alright. Were your friends moved from stage 3 to stage 5 or stage 4 to stage 5?

@地球人 and we get both of the documents in the mail that university sends us, right? And that's a good idea actually, i might do something similar. My plan was to go to Beijing first, as the flight tickets there are the cheapest, and from there take a train or a bus (i know it would take ages, but i don't mind that much) to Chongqing. 

@h.p Actually I need to book a flight for my visa application, so I'll wait until I've received the admission letter and I can start my visa application before I buy a ticket. Regulation ? I'm not sure what you are referring to. This website can help to see which day is cheapest for a plane ticket: www.kiwi.com Although I think they charge a fee, so you could probably go to the airline's own website once you have chosen a flight.

7 minutes ago, 这波不亏,666。 said:

Does anyone know how we recieve the stipend money? Through a Chinese bank or what? 

My university send me today the instructions. At least in my case, we recieve the stipend through a chinese bank (Chinese Construction Bank for me, so I'm happy because is a great bank and I'll be able to take ofo bikes ?)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1