Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an extensive review about  Xi’an International Studies University (also known as “XISU” or 西安外国语大学 Xī’ān wàiguóyǔ dàxué) which you can choose for your CIS year. Reasons not to go to XISU. Let me know your opinions and comments. Bear in mind that my year in China was worth it and I loved the experience, I only HATED this university.

@hoshinoumi Thank you for sharing your insights. Unfortunately, the university that I got admitted has the same problems. Teachers in the office are super corrupted and all they want is take advantage of students and make money for their own. I even haven’t started my masters but I already feel tired of their attitude. I am pretty sure there are lots of backroom deals and bribes about scholarship. I really hate that they blatantly use their position to rip off scholarship recipients. I love China but I really hate them having no structure and logic in regards to certain situations. 

@Scarlett_17Hang in there!! Try to breathe a bit and go back to your home country to de-stress from time to time. When your money depends on that kind of people it will get stressing for sure!!

@地球人 I went there in 16/17. I didn't want to risk writing this until now, when I've chosen I don't care if this post gets any kind of retaliation.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!

As 2018 comes to an end and the deadline for the One-Semester Study beginning in March 2019 is nearby (20 December 2018), I  would like to write about my experience for applying for this scholarship. I faced 2 main obstacles during my application, and would like to post about them here so that anyone facing the same problems, knows how to find a solution! XD

So, I applied for a 4-Week Study Program in Taiji Culture beginning in December 2018 (Deadline: 20 September 2018). I know that most students generally apply for One-Semester or One-Year Program, but since I am still a University Student and have a winter vacation of only a month in December, I found this scholarship most appropriate. However, since during this time, the weather at most places in China is not that suitable, finding a University (Host Institution) was the biggest obstacle. Thankfully, I found Guangxi University for Nationalities that came to my rescue, one of the very few universities that conducts this program. Anyone who is afraid of Chinese Winter, I would really suggest you to apply to this university. The weather in Nanning is really good and the best part is the Contact Person at the University (For me, it was Miss Shi Yue 石岳老师) is very responsive. I mean, she would really apply my e-mail within minutes!!!! I will post more about my experience at the University at the University's Page soon! XD 

The second main obstacle was finding a recommending institution. The problem is, in my country, there are only 2 Confucius Institutes. And they are rather not that helpful. I contacted them numerous times but to no avail. Finally, I visited the CIS Website again and discovered that even Embassies can act as Recommending Institutions. I know that most students directly contact the Confucius Institutes to write them a letter of recommendation, but incase you find that the Confucius Institutes are not helping, directly contact the embassy for a letter of recommendation, like I did. I know contacting embassy for a Letter of Recommendation seem daunting and sometimes they do not even know that they can act as recommending institutions or have incomplete information! But Hey, when Confucius Institutes are not helping, they are your only option. And the Educational Division in the Chinese Embassy in my country was actually quite helpful once I clarified my case to them over the phone. XD

And guess what!!! Things worked out pretty well and I got the Scholarship !!

I've already begun my 4-Week long program at Guangxi University for Nationalities!!!!

Wish all the applicants applying for One-Semester Study beginning in March 2019 good luck! XD

• Helpful 1

Hi @roddy

I think it might be time to close this topic.

It can be left open for a week or two in case anyone wants to answer any specific questions, or post their experiences.

Or talk about the  One-Semester Study beginning in March 2019 (Deadline: 20 December 2018)

All the discussion after this (Regarding 2019 Applications) can be carried out on link: Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019 already created by someone.

Thanks everyone for contributing, informing and supporting each other! I am closing this topic now. For the new round of applications, please see our new(ish) topic for the 2019 scholarships. Old applicants are very welcome to share their tips with new applicants. For any non-scholarship questions, please join us at the rest of the forums, where we have advice on learning Chinese, finding a place to stay and living in China in general.

• Thanks 1