Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

@Jessicadalila I've got no idea to be honest. I know that you can only apply using within 2 years but not sure if that 2 years has to include the date when you submit the application or the date you are confirmed to get a scholarship. But if you applied for one-year Chinese scholarship, you might not even need HSKK exam results

@AaronUK Yeah, I've also heard about that. I really like both the city and the university there, that's why I chose it. 

@妍卉 good luck, i'm sure you'll reach stage 4 soon. Did you try to contact your university?

@Yosias Sure, no problem! And yes, that's the official requirement, so there should be no issue here. I did take HSKK as well, but I know many people who also applied and didn't take that exam. 

3 hours ago, Yosias said:

thanks for your advise, it's so helpfull! I just know if they can send us extra score report. Btw, I also want to re-check with you if the requirement for one-academic-year-study (Chinese Language Study) is only HSK 3, and actually HSKK Beginner doesn't needed, am I right?

and also congratulations for your progress haha :clap

One semester and one year academic study requires HSKK. Stated on the application website as well as other universities I have looked at.

I finally sent off my application yesterday after so much drama..

Recommendation institute: SOAS, London

Taken recently: HSK 4 and HSKK Intermediate

Never been a CI student, currently working and will be one of the oldest applicants as I am > 30 :oops:. I have heard of age discrimination in China so lets see if its true.

Applied for one year academic study (TCSOL) at Shanghai Jiaotong and Fudan. Applied on the deadline for Shanghai Jiaotong so lets see if my application progresses to stage 4 or 5.. :mrgreen:

19 hours ago, pan.kasper said:

@Yosias Sure, no problem! And yes, that's the official requirement, so there should be no issue here. I did take HSKK as well, but I know many people who also applied and didn't take that exam. 

@pan.kasper well noted.

18 hours ago, 芒果乾 said:

Recommendation institute: SOAS, London

Taken recently: HSK 4 and HSKK Intermediate

Never been a CI student, currently working and will be one of the oldest applicants as I am > 30 :oops:. I have heard of age discrimination in China so lets see if its true.

Applied for one year academic study (TCSOL) at Shanghai Jiaotong and Fudan. Applied on the deadline for Shanghai Jiaotong so lets see if my application progresses to stage 4 or 5.. :mrgreen:

@芒果乾 how do you know the school's deadline? did you contact to them before apply?

On 2018/3/21 at 8:59 AM, pan.kasper said:

1) I am not a student of Confucius Institute. When I first came to their office I was assured that this is not a requirement.

Hey Pan.Kasper. I was just wonderin, which organisation did you use as your recommending institute when applying?  If you chose the 'Non Confucius Institute' option, you still had to have someone write a recommendation letter right?

I've been working in China for about 6 years, haven't attended a Chinese class so don't really have any one to use as a recommendation. I'm goin to take the HSK 5 on Saturday... Really late, I know... damn paper results don't come out till like June 30th, hoping to use a screenshot of the online results which come out on June 4th, and at the same time also writing emails to different CI at Chinese Universities to see if they could 'sponsor' me and explain my situation in their recommendation letter.

3 hours ago, Yosias said:

how do you know the school's deadline? did you contact to them before apply?

http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/EN/content.aspx?info_lb=162&flag=2

I searched on Google a few months ago ?  using "sjtu confucius scholarship". Just be aware that not all Chinese universities have English versions like SJTU.. Fudan's version was in Chinese only.

A little update.. 

Have progressed to Stage 4 on the CIS website and received an email from SJTU this morning asking to verify my email so it looks like I am registered on their system. SJTU's website is not https though ?

Anyways, I am surprised with how quick my application has progressed so hopefully I will get approval from Hanban next month.

Another thing.. have you guys and girls been receiving emails when moving to the next stage on the CIS website? I read the thread last year and people said they received emails but I have not received any at all ?

I have used my hotmail.co.uk address as I read that gmail accounts could have issues receiving emails because Google is banned in China.

3 hours ago, Harv31 said:

I was just wonderin, which organisation did you use as your recommending institute when applying? 

I took my HSK exams at SOAS CI and asked them to write my recommendation letter. I was not a student there either. I think you should ask the organisation where you are taking your test to write you one if they are on the recommendation institute list on the application part of the CIS website.

@roddyAny chance of merging this thread with the 2017 CIS thread? Having two threads is rather confusing for me ?

@Harv31 SOAS Confucius Institute in London. According to the requirements, you don't need to be a registered CI student, but arguably it helps. Nobody knows to what degree though
@芒果乾 it seems that we went to the same place, I'm also being recommended by SOAS London. They have been really helpful so far. 
But I wouldn't say that HSKK is required for One year program. I mean, it is required for TCSOL but not for One year language program, according to the official requirements, so @Yosias you shouldn't worry about that.

25 minutes ago, pan.kasper said:

But I wouldn't say that HSKK is required for One year program. I mean, it is required for TCSOL but not for One year language program, according to the official requirements, so @Yosias you shouldn't worry about that.

You are right regarding the one year Chinese language (汉语研修) course, I did not read the website properly. The one semester courses requires HSKK which makes no sense to me ?

Good luck in your application too.

@芒果乾 hopefully we will all get it. I read forums from last years and there was a lot of problems and panic (some people got their application back from stage 4 to stage 1) but at the end, I think everyone or almost everyone got it. I hope this year it will be the same. 

Ah I have 1 more question. When you guys apply for the confucius institute scholarship, do you also submit applications seperately to the university you wanna attend?

The reason I ask is because there's always an application fee when applyin to universities, like 500 RMB. But I don't think there is one when applyin for the scholarship. 

If the answer is yes, and you guys did apply seperately to a university too (and paid the application fee too), then... does that mean you applied seperately for 2 universities? (The 2 preferences that you gave on your confucius scholarship application?)

If the answer is no, did you still contact your intended universities anyway, and tell them that you're interested in their Chinese course, and that you'll be applying through the hanban website?

Thanks in advance

@Harv31no, as far as I'm concerned (and I did my fair share of research) you only need to apply for the scholarship, not for the university directly. That's what I did and I believe most of the people here. You can apply for the different scholarships provided by Chinese Government, a province, a city, a state or university itself (yep, they have a lot). But in general, it is not recommended to apply for more than one, otherwise you can be disqualified from both - I read a story about a guy who applied for both CIS and CSC, was accepted by both and then refused by both scholarships when they found he also applied for the other one and that created confusion. You don't have to worry about the fee, application from CI is a wholly seperate application and you are not obliged to pay any fee - you only would if you applied directly to the university for either a paid course or a scholarship offered by the university itself, rather than Hanban

As for your second question - it is entirely up to you. There is absolutely no requirement to contact your university, some people even argue against it unless you have a really serious matter. Personally, I did contact some universities, some of them were more responsive while some less, but I think it's worth a shot. Worst case they won't reply but it doesn't really affect your application in any way. 

@Chihlimbar19 No, it means that the university has accepted you, but the final decision belongs to Hanban, which is the Chinese governmental body that manages scholarships and provides the money for students. But congratulations reaching stage 4, that's where I am and many people here, will probably take some time until some of us will reach stage 5 and have scholarship confirmed 

• New Members

Hi all, 

Does anyone know if is possible to put forward an application for both September and March intake for one semester study? Due to my work situation I am not sure on my availability and how soon i can go to China, but i have heard that its not always guaranteed they run the March intake? And have been recommended to apply for September which makes me nervous to apply for just March. Does anyone have this experience?

Thanks 

@地球人 :) In both programs, you study Chinese language. The only diffrerence is that in the TCSOL you also take subjects related to teaching Chinese language. On the other hand, the Chinese language includes subjects about culture too.

I'm finally in the second stage. How long does it take to get a response from Nankai University? Does anybody know this?

• Thanks 1

So I thought I would sign up and join the panicked masses of CIS applicants. I sent off my application for 北京语言大学 Friday last week and today it was moved to stage 3.

Let the nail biting commence!

@Veronica Peña second stage is when your Confucius Institute is reviewing your application. At stage 2, Nankai university doesn't even see your application yet, only when you reach stage 3 they review it and when you reach stage 4 it means they accepted you. What you should do is to contact your CI and ask them to push your application to the university of your choice (but do it politely) because you are worried that the place will fill its quota.

@MaxETit Congrats for getting at stage 3. Now reaching stage 4 can be either a matter of hours, like it was for me and some other people or even weeks but in each case, there's no need to worry, every university is different in that manner. But i agree, process is very stressful, I've been nail biting for quite a while now and I'm pretty sure it is not gonna end soon - usually final confirmation is only announced by the end of June or beginning of July 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hi everybody!

I applied for the 1 Year Non-Degree program. My application has been stuck in stage 2 since April 25th, and I’m starting to get anxious. I’m assuming stage 2 is where my Confucius institute is reviewing it, but it seems strange that it would take more than a month to do so.

I haven’t contacted them about this, because I honestly can’t think of a way to do so that won’t seem impatient or pushy...has anyone else had there app stuck in stage 2 for a long time? 

(I probably just need to be patient...)

For ref I applied to my confucius institute’s partner university in China (东大)

@Summerjaz  a month is too long, you have to contact them,some confucius institute teachers don't even  accept your application if you don't ask them to. You can just ask them politely before it's too late, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it. 

Good luck