Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

@Aya G. Yes, I see that on 查看. It's a hanban answer: "考试与奖学金处 张晋军 "

In theory you need hskk for the one semester scholarship. Its harder than the full year scholarship ?

My other option is the csc scholarship ("in progress"), but I didn't expect this.

Finally had my application sent back to my first choice, got a video interview tomorrow (though I've asked if I could reschedule it because it conflicts with an exam), has anyone had to do an interview with their uni? Wondering what kind of questions to expect, I'm not so good with my Chinese speaking.

• New Members

Hi everyone! I reached stage 4 last Friday after a phone interview with my uni.

@m.lee I was asked basic questions, like if I had ever worked as a Chinese teacher, why did I apply for this scholarship, and what my plans after the scholarship were. At the beginning we were talking in English, and after that the woman let me know that we would start with the interview in Chinese. I was really nervous but at the end they accepted my application and I was moved to stage 4.

Has anyone reached stage 5 so far? I read some of you were in the 4th some weeks ago :) Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone!About CIS I just applied five days ago,I applied for undergraduate 4 years TCSOL.
My HSK6 score is 259 and HSKK advanced 83, do I have the opportunity to get a scholarship? The first voluntary university I applied for is South China University of Technology. And now I am still in the second stage, does anyone know how long it will take to reach the third stage?Thank you.

8 hours ago, kiryu said:

Hello everyone!About CIS I just applied five days ago,I applied for undergraduate 4 years TCSOL.
My HSK6 score is 259 and HSKK advanced 83, do I have the opportunity to get a scholarship? The first voluntary university I applied for is South China University of Technology. And now I am still in the second stage, does anyone know how long it will take to reach the third stage?Thank you.

Hi! If I'm not mistaken, stage 2 depends on your recommending institution. They have to go over your application, and only after they've approved it does it progress to stage 3. If you're really worried, you can ask your recommending institution about it, maybe give them a gentle reminder. Mine took ten days before it went from stage 2 to stage 3. I was getting pretty worried so I asked my recommending institution about it. It turns out that they lost the password Hanban gave them and they had to wait for a new one.

Hi all

i am so glad that this forum exists. 

I applied to nanjing university - 1st choice and I can’t remember what I did as second choice. 

NJU has asked me to do a Skype interview, has anyone had to do this? (It doesn’t look like they did this in previous years) 

What did they ask you, was it a hard interview?

thank you

Hey y’all, I also got sent back to stage 1 because the one-year scholarships were already full (I’m assuming at my 1st choice specifically). I’m...very very sad lol, but I want to try with my 2nd choice school first. So do I need to change it to my first choice now? Or do i leave the application as-is and ask my CI to forward it to my second choice? 

Worst-case scenario i could try for a one-semester scholarship instead, but that feels like it’ll go by too fast. I really have my heart set on the full year i guess....

@Aya G.@BJ today I also reached step 4 and I got a message saying the quota for 1 year scholarship for my CI uni is full... Which is strange because I did everything on the proper time my CI told me to.  However,  I didn't get kicked back to step 3 but to step 1!!  And they recommended me to ask for one-semester scholarship (which I can't apply to,  since I already got one before). I wonder why I wasn't redirected to my second option?   So now I don't know if that "quota" is full according to Hanban,  or according to the uni I chose? The one who signed is "super administrator" or "chaoji guanliyuan" edit:  (超级管理员)   Because if that's  the case I would just change the uni...

@Summerjaz @地球人 I am supposed to have my video interview today but I have just been sent back to step 1 this morning for the same reason (1 year scholarship full). As I understand it there's only so many scholarships available, remember it's from the confucius institute, not from each uni so I'm guessing since we've all received the same notification at the same time, they've just given out all the ones they had? I'm really annoyed too, I applied early thinking it would be better but because of the system (the whole 20 day to review thing) I've ended up missing out, doesn't seem fair really 

@MaxETit I applied for Beida and Renmin - I am pretty sure Beida's quotas haven't been filled yet because I keep in touch with them and they've only recently started reviewing documents. 

I think this is either an error of the system or Hanban have filled their scholarship quotas. But the latter seems unlikely (or at least I'd like to believe so) because it we're still too early in the application process and I can't seem to find anything similar to this from previous years.   

I was gone for a week and in the meantime the thread has doubled the amount of comments. Good job, it's really important that we support one another :)

To all that had their application moved back to stage 1 today - do not give up!! We have reached the 'stressful period' when there are problems with applications and people panic, it was the same last year (from what I read, I wasn't applying then). Contact your CI, contact Hanban, contact the universities of your choice. It is impossible for Hanban to fill up their quota for the whole scholarship, deadline is only on 20th of June so in theory we still should have at least 3 more weeks to apply. The only possible explanations I can think of are that it's either some bug in the system or that they have a limited amount of scholarship per branch of CI. But that would be rather unfair i think, as one CI can have plenty of great candidates and other only a few. 

This forum is indeed a useful and important source. I am not usually one to comment on forums but given the lack of information, transparency, and communication between universities, institutions, and applicants, I think its important to share whatever info we have. 

@地球人 @Summerjaz @m.lee My local Confucius institute informed that they have no idea what is happening, but another student who had been returned for the same reason (filled quotas) was accepted today after resubmitting the documents. I am also going to resubmit the application. I'd advise you guys to contact your local CI and do the same. Let's keep in touch. 加油!  

• Good question! 1