Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

Hey Guy, the same thing happened to me... went back from stage 3 to stage 1. I received the message from Hanban that the quota for the one-year study is full and I can apply for the one-semester study only. I tried to resend my application for the one-year study by selecting different universities (less popular ones) as 1st and 2nd choice but when I clicked on 'submit' the same message appeared. So I went back and changed the program for the one-semester one. I could send the application again like that and now it is back to stage 2. @lewbomear  Have you managed finally to resubmit your application for the one-year program or received the same message as well?

I will give a call to my local CI in a bit to see what they say and I really hope it is just an error because we are still only in May, hopefully they will know more about it. 

I have emailed Hanban regarding other issues earlier and I think its completely useless. I might try to give them a call tomorrow. I hope that they speak English cause I won't be able to handle that convo in Chinese. 

Phoned up my recommending confucius institute who said her understanding of the application process is that Hanban gives each university a quota of how many scholarships they can provide and advised me to ask the university for an explanation. I find it weird that I was invited to do a video interview at the end of yesterday's working day and then right at the start of today they said scholarships are full? It's not like they would have had time to interview anyone and fill up the remaining places in the meantime

I also phoned up my Institute l but they could not really give me any information for the moment. The girl on the phone was just saying that, we are already late in the application process. I was told by her however that she will see it with the director and will let me know tomorrow when I pass by.  I just honestly could not really even apply earlier (like beginning of March) because I was waiting for the HSK and HSKK certificates.  From Hungary here btw. 

This is very strange indeed. Usually, one would get rejected by hanban on the 4th stage. Unless hanban sent a notification to everyone saying the quota is full and they won't be taking any more scholarships. But they're supposed to start reviewing them by June so idk, maybe this year they decided to discard people by time of application instead of academic scores? I've sent hanban an email yesterday but I doubt I'll get an answer. Also I sent a few to other universities (I had a applied to Jilin originally), and got an answer only from one: they said their quota for one year is full.

Alright, I tried to resubmit my application, however, when I click submit I get the same message about the one year quotas being filled. It comes as a pop-up window, doesnt even let me submit it.

I'll try to contact the university tomorrow and see what they have to say. 

这波不亏,666。

Anyone using Gmail, please take note!

Has anyone had problems receiving e-mails from their host university on a gmail account? 

I was at stage 3 and apparently ECNU had been trying to e-mail me but I wasn't receiving anything. Luckily gmail decided to work on their final call for an interview.

Now I have passed the interview on to stage 4 but I will send them a message today asking them to use my qq e-mail instead for further communications.

So anyone using g-mail just be careful.

Cheers

So much drama this year :shock:

Last Friday, I was sent a notification by SJTU to say that I was too old to be applying for the one year scholarship.. I do not turn 36 until after September and it says on the application requirements that you have to be between 16-35 on 01 Sept 2018. I explained to SJTU via e-mail that I will be 35 on 01 Sept 2018, and they did not budge on their decision. Was moved back from Stage 4 to Stage 3.

Now I have logged in and have been moved back to Stage 1 with the 一学年奖学金名额已满。欢迎申请一学期奖学金 message like a few others. Not impressed.. why did I waste my money and time taking the HSK and HSKK tests when I could have applied for CSC Scholarship instead without it....

I noticed a couple of differences between the 1 year and 1 semester scholarship. The main one is that there's an additional HSKK requirement, and the score needed for HSK 3 is higher. But then there's also the type of subject you can actually study during your time at University. Information from hanban website:

1 Academic year study scholarship 

ii. Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy

iii. Chinese Language Study (I think most of us are applying for this course)

1 Semester study scholarship 

i. TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese  Philosophy

So a pure 'Chinese Language Study' course for 1 academic year isn't available for the semester program, but there's another course which has extra literature classes (maybe sacrificing some language classes). Not a big deal I guess, and it probably depends on what program your Uni actually offers (I can't imagine a small university actually providing 2 completely separate courses for like a total of 30 enrolled foreign students) ... but worth noting

@芒果乾don't be so sure the CSC scholarship was any better. I applied to it on March and was instantly rejected for no reason. I have hsk 4 and hskk intermediate.

So I have some (bad) news. I contacted my CI and since the guy there is involved in my CI uni's selection process, I asked him about filled quotas and he said that it is very strange  and that they also did NOT even receive my application at the uni, and the uni said nothing to him about having full quotas. So he said the message MUST have come from hanban even before the uni received my app. He said he's gonna contact hanban himself and notify me of any news. 

2 hours ago, 地球人 said:

don't be so sure the CSC scholarship was any better. I applied to it on March and was instantly rejected for no reason. I have hsk 4 and hskk intermediate.

If I apply next year, it'll be via the EU Window.. 135 places available so I may have a chance haha.

My CI (SOAS) has confirmed that One Year quotas have been filled.

If I apply for the One Semester course via CIS, then it is unlikely I will be accepted for a one year general scholar Chinese language scholarship under CSC so I need to weigh up whether its worth reapplying this year or not. One semester is not enough time to spend in China but I do not want to wait until September 2019 either :help