Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2018

pan.kasper
roddy
Message added by roddy

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Roddy

@MaxETit Looking at the comments by last years applicants, they were notified if their application was successful or not by mid to late June. Guess it will be similar this year. What did not happen last year were applicants being told about quotas.

I have resubmitted my application by changing to one semester study and Chinese language and literature instead of TCSOL. I have not changed my personal statement either. Lets see if they reject my application because of the age issue :shrug:

Hey guys, bad news.. 

My confucius institute teacher did contact Hanban, and it's seems like the only way for people that have been sent back is to apply for the one semester scholarship instead of the one year scholarship. 

Here's my update: 

I tried resubmitting and I get the same message, as a pop-up window (一学年奖学金名额已满。欢迎申请一学期奖学金 ) I reckon everyone who has tried resubmitting has the same issue now and apparently quite a few people have it. 

I just phoned Beida (my first choice) and as soon as I mentioned 'one year scholarship', the woman said 'ah let me guess, your application has been sent back?'. I described the issue as thoroughly as possible and she said that this is a problem with the Hanban system and they are currently working on resolving it. They told me not to worry and to wait. But it has to be noted that the Beida application process involves sending a separate application through their system and original documents on top of that. I am not sure if this applies to other universities. 

I guess that's good news?

For those that have been sent back to stage 1, mind sharing the type of scholarship you're applying for (1 year TCSOL, 1 year language program, etc.), when you got to stage 4, the uni you're applying to, and the country you're from? I'm not sure if this will help, but it might give us some idea of what's going on.

Bulgarian here.

I believe I applied the second week of March for the one year language course in Beida and Renmin. All my documents were prepared and the application was quickly moved onto stage 3.

On 23 May, still on stage 3, I received the following message: 超过时限,转入第二志愿。As others noted earlier, apparently Hanban automatically transfers the documents to your second choice, should the first choice not reply within a certain time limit. Beida hadn't yet started checking the applications so I wanted to get the documents sent back. I emailed and phoned my local CI, Hanban, Beida, and Renmin. I am not entirely sure what happened as no one actually replied to my emails aside from Beida, but they only told me that they would take care of that after they have finished reviewing the documents. 

On 28 May I received the following message:  学生要求驳回至第一志愿录取 and was moved to stage 1. I asked my CI to resend the application, which they did, and I was moved back to stage 3. 

Then, on the 30th, I received the now infamous 一学年奖学金名额已满。欢迎申请一学期奖学金 and was moved back to stage 1. Local CI have no clue as to what might have happened. Hanban cannot be reached by email. I phoned Beida and they informed me that they are aware of the problem and are working with Hanban on resolving it. They told me they'd send me an email when they have info. Until then, I should wait.   

I never got to stage 4. 

The only similar precedent I was able to find is from 2015 in a Russian forum: http://polusharie.com/index.php?topic=3816.6275. One person there received 意见: 一 学年 奖学金 名额 已满, 经 综合 评审, 按 优先 录取 孔子 学院 学员 的 的, 不 录取. But it seems that their situation wasn't exactly the same.

As someone mentioned above, it turns out applying early was a mistake. I am normally a last-minute person, so I thought this time I'd apply well in advance. Then BANG, this happens...

Update: fudan have replied and just said the same thing one year scholarships are full and I’d have to apply for a one semester one instead (which I can’t do). Hanban haven’t replied to me, they usually reply the day after but I’ve received nothing from them?

So I’ve pretty much told my story already, from the UK, applied on 19th April, had my application approved by my recommending CI by 24th, my application got automatically transferred to second choice (nanjing) on the 23rd May, asked to get it sent back to first choice (Fudan) a few days after, Fudan received my application on 29th and asked to interview, 16 hours later received Hanban notification that one year scholarships are full and sent back to stage 1, Fudan didn’t contact me to cancel interview or anything, it was as if I just disappeared off their system 

I think we deserve an explanation from hanban, the deadline isn't even over yet, and I see there are people who applied on March (I applied on may 24th) and are in the same situation. So does anyone know of any student who actually got the one year scholarship, or is at least on stage 4? How did hanban make the selection process? Since they haven't even seen the apps yet.  Even my CI uni said they still  had places for more students. I'm sure we are getting automated answers because they received so many one year scholarships. And apparently they don't want to read through so many apps. I wonder if there is actually any automated filter they  have applied or if they randomly sent the messages. That would be really unfair. So I guess we should wait another week to see if anything changes (unlikely at this rate), if not...then bye bye China :(.

I've just somehow managed to submit it again. I haven't changed anything on the application, it just worked, and I have moved onto stage 2. I'll ask my CI to move me onto Stage 3 tomorrow. I don't what happened. 

• New Members

I don't know of anyone who reached stage 5 yet, I have been in stage 4 since May 25th. Everytime I log in to CIS Chinese I am afraid to have been kicked to stage 1. I am crossing fingers... I guess we will just have to wait :( 

I literally haven't touched anything on the application - I tried sending it in the morning, then around noon - no success. I just decided to give it a go just now and it worked. I called my CI and I've just been moved back to stage 3. It may be that the university has resolved the issue with Hanban or that Hanban have sorted out their website. I guess we need to hear from the other people who had the issue @m.lee @地球人 @jungleonthefloor @MaxETit to figure out where exactly does the problem come from. Have you guys tried to resubmit the application in the past hour or so?

1 hour ago, 地球人 said:

so does anyone know of any student who actually got the one year scholarship, or is at least on stage 4?

Still stage 4 somehow, but I feel for you guys. 

I don't know if that's helpful, but I remember emailing the university of my first choice about quotas few weeks ago (just before submitting my application) and they replied that they don't know their quotas and will only be informed by Hanban of it later. So perhaps, the quotas have been assigned already to the universities and those who got their application returned to stage 1 was just automatically rejected by the system as the uni already has too many applicants (though i don't know on what basis they would make selection. HSK results maybe?). It is also possible that it's just a bug and that it will be fixed by Hanban soon. Keep your hopes up!

• New Members

2 hours ago, 地球人 said:

So does anyone know of any student who actually got the one year scholarship, or is at least on stage 4?

I'm still on the stage 4.

1 hour ago, pan.kasper said:

It is also possible that it's just a bug and that it will be fixed by Hanban soon.

I also think so.

1 hour ago, 安妮 said:

Please inform us if u moved to stage 4!!

Yeah of course I will, although it might take a while since Beida said 'within two weeks' . I just have that nasty feeling that I'll wake up tomorrow and there'll be some brand new and bizarre problem

Hello

I am totally baffled and shaken by this process!

I thought everything was going well (considering the last thing that had happened for me was that I was at Stage 3 and then this Tuesday 29 May 2018 - NJU contacted me to set up a Skype interview). I had added their account on Wednesday 30 May 2018 and was waiting for confirmation of my interview time.  

This morning on 1 June - I just happened to check back on this forum and saw the latest update. Freaked out, logged onto my application and saw that the same thing had happened to me. I had been moved back to stage 1 with the same notice about "all one year scholarships being full". This really does not make sense.

Can anyone confirm this is definitely a bug/error? What should we do in the meantime. I have shot off a hasty email to my local CI director and also am going to call NJU today. I will keep you updated.

Hi everyone - just letting you know i spoke to nanjing university and they confirmed that it is not a bug. They received an official correspondence from Hanban which said that all one year scholarships are taken and the quota has been filled. By the way - she also confirmed its a nationwide quota, they don't allocate certain amount of places to certain universities. THerefore once the nationwide quota had been filled, it was done. 

She said she did not know the the reason why they were all filled and seemed a bit embarrassed. And said she thinks that maybe they had overscribed people from last year's intake.

it seems really unfair given the deadline has not even officially passed - but i guess that is just the way it is.

She told me to re-apply for one semester - which i will be doing.