Chinese-Forums

A Yunnan take on kimchi fried rice 泡菜炒饭

abcdefg

3 hours ago, abcdefg said:

It's easy to find Korean kimchi in refrigerated packages all over the world, and it works very well, even without being Chinese.

But what do I use as a supplement for that meat!?

• Like 1

Thanks for this write-up.

I get addicted to kimchi every time I go to Korea. I tried to make my own and it can taste ok.

5 hours ago, abcdefg said:

I might have to relinquish my Michelin star

:-)

I am also addicted to Michelin restaurants by the way. Rarely eat out so I can save up for those unique meals that can stay in the memory for years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

But what do I use as a supplement for that meat!?

@somethingfunny -- In dishes like this I often use smoked duck breast 烟鸭胸肉。It's available fresh in supermarkets here, as well as in the wet market. Sold with the skin on; two meaty breasts for 9 or 10 Yuan. About a thousand times more flavor than chicken breast. Slivers of Yunan ham 云南宣威火腿 also works well. If I were trying to make this dish in the west, I would probably try using a good quality spicy or smoked sausage, maybe Italian or Polish. 

@Tøsen -- Of course you know I was joking about having a Michelin star. I admire great restaurants, but spend most of my time trying to make simple, family-style food in my own kitchen. And I love using fresh local ingredients that cannot be found everywhere. It's great fun to follow the seasons and use what is at its best now, just at this precise moment in time. 

7 hours ago, abcdefg said:

Of course you know I was joking about having a Michelin star

Yes fully aware. I wasn't joking about spending all of my money on Michelin star meals though. It is my hobby nearly.

7 hours ago, abcdefg said:

And I love using fresh local ingredients that cannot be found everywhe

You would have loved Noma, the top Danish 3 star michelin whose concept it was to forage for fresh and local products. They used things like ants instead of lemons as they refused to use anything that was not immediately available in the vicinity. Obviously lemons aren't.  A really talented chef: Rene Redzepi.

That does sound interesting! Bet it was good. 

I go usually go to Bali once every year. Most often stay in Ubud and make a point of reserving a table at Restaurant Locavore one evening towards the end. It's a fine dining establishment that uses the same concept as the one you mentioned in Denmark. Modern cuisine, using the best local seasonal ingredients. Not sure they go to the extremes that Noma does, with ants instead of lemons. 

The chefs are classically-trained, young and adventurous. Open kitchen concept. They offer a 5-course tasting menu as well as a 7-course one. For a bit more money, they will pair the courses with appropriate wines. Takes two or three hours. It's quite a splurge and quite a treat. 

https://www.locavore.co.id/ 

58 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

make a point of reserving a table at Restaurant Locavore one evening towards the end.

Thanks for this recommendation.It looks like they have a Michelin star. It sounds fantastic. Also like the fact they have a western chef as part of the team. This often can give rise to inspiring new concepts. It is definitely not a case of" too many cooks spoil.."