Chinese-Forums

Teaching opportunities for native-speaker with no degree?

KatrinavS

• New Members

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could offer some advice on teaching in China without a degree. I studied for 3 years at university but due to some personal circumstances I was unable to finish my studies and obtain my degree. I've always wanted to travel to China and Japan, and teaching English in China presented the perfect opportunity for me to do that. However, I found that there aren't as many positions available for applicants without a degree and I've been warned about scams and agencies too many times to apply for the positions that offer excellent pay despite not requiring a degree.

I've recently finished my 120 hour TEFL course as well as a 60 hour Business English course and I am a native speaker from South Africa. I have no previous experience in teaching apart from tutoring friends on occasion.

Are there any legitimate websites or schools anyone could recommend for someone with my level of certification and experience. 

Hello @KatrinavS

I would advise you to look on the government visa sections of the countries you are interested in and check if there are any work related visas you would be eligible for. If a temporary or long term work visa doesn't exist which you are eligible for then you then it will answer your question.

I have done this research related to my situation in the past and it shows you what is possible. Although going a step further and getting a job is another thing all together.

http://www.za.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/certificate_of_eligibility.html

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.za/eng/lqfw/guidelines/visa/t1072402.htm

There are other countries in south East Asia you can try as well, as it seems China may be a no-go without a degree for paid work. You could try looking around http://www.tefl.com/

Thanks,

Aaron

• Thanks 1

Not really sure where the above post is coming from here. The answer is you can’t get a legitimate job teaching in China without a degree. You’d find the same answer just searching these forums or google. 

Any agency or whatever you find that says they can get you a job teaching here is just wasting your time. You’d likely come on a tourist or business visa and end up extending it. Regardless of which type, if you’re not coming on a Z visa and then converting that to a work residence permit then it’s not legit. 

Almost certainly the same in Japan. 

If you're just looking to travel or be more short term, likely easier to find some volunteering as this wouldn’t have the same restrictions. 

• Like 1

Chttay is correct, you won't get the a working visa for teaching English in China without a degree. 

The visa rules changed last year. Don't listen to what schools are telling you. You or the agency will have to produce your  degree certificate at the entry exit bureau. There is no way around this short of bribery. 

• Like 1

• New Members

Chttay and DavyJonesLocker,

I had asked the company through which I completed my TEFL which places would be best for someone without a degree and they had informed me China would be a good choice. From what I had read online, a lot of people were saying getting in on a Z Visa wasn't the only option and that the lines between government and these institutions were often blurred as far as visas go. It's disappointing to hear they were misinformed, but at least now I know for sure.

Thank you for the information.

4 hours ago, KatrinavS said:

I've recently finished my 120 hour TEFL course

Well done. I did this course too and had great fun.

On my course there was a nurse and also a taxi driver (with a very heavy Gordie accent) so also people without a degree. But they did not want to teach in China.

8 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

You or the agency will have to produce your  degree certificate at the entry exit bureau

It's about damn time they enforced this!

To OP : As others mentioned, you need a degree for teaching English in China. Previously if you didn't have one, this would be worked around by fake degrees or whatever. Now it's more risky to the companies doing this, and I say thank god for that, as the coworkers I've had in the past who I can confirm were fakes were terrible coworkers IMO.

It's good that you've made the effort to get some teaching theory under your belt with those 2 courses. However, I'd add that practical applications of it in the classroom can be much different, and ultimately it might be of little to no use. 

Channelling my inner old person here, but do you think it might be possible to finish your schooling in the future if you were that close? Personal circumstances might earn you sympathy points, but potential employers will probably ding you for being so close yet not persevering to the end and instead hire someone who has diploma in hand. 

Maybe if you'd return to school in SA for a semester, you could get a scholarship to study abroad and finish out your studies in China. I actually was able to return credits earned in China back to my school in the US.

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

• New Members
9 hours ago, 歐博思 said:

Channelling my inner old person here, but do you think it might be possible to finish your schooling in the future if you were that close?

I would definitely want to finish my fourth year, but it's my financial situation that was causing some difficulties. The reason I though China was perfect was because the cost of living is low and the salary was way more than what I would ever be able to get here in SA, so saving up while working there for just a year would pay for two years of my studies.

9 hours ago, 歐博思 said:

I actually was able to return credits earned in China back to my school in the US.

That's really awesome. How long were you studying there? 

Unfortunately my university doesn't offer any exchange programs. I could transfer my credits and attend a different university, but the one I'm attending now costs a fourth of the price of the others in my area. 

I'll just have to consider some other countries. Thank you for your advice. 

I’d try finish the degree too otherwise you’re looking at an ever decreasing number of places you can teach English legally. Either that or you work under perhaps not so good conditions and not legally.

From what you’re saying you heard about China... I mean it would be completely true 5 years ago and maybe some wriggle room 3 years ago but now, not a chance. 

Getting in on a Z visa is the only legal option. 

• Like 1

In any case the odds are that you won't stay in China your whole life. Hence you really should think about your future career. Any sort of professional job needs a degree as a  minimum now so it's best to pursue it, if possible.

• Like 1