Chinese-Forums

Chinese characters on stone translation help.

2fat2slow

Hi all,

For some time now, I am trying to crack few Chinese characters. Would be very much appreciated if someone could help me to understand characters meanings, and which way to read them.

It is not possible to upload full picture, as stone itself very small, and characters simply will be not readable, I think it can be classed as micro carved characters, had to use HD/loop camera with reasonable zoom in :)

Sequence random.

Kind regards

Paul - UK  

Characters.png

• 2 months later...

Hi Bibu,

I done my home work since I posted it here..I been advised that it's Zhuan script. And possibly I have translation on 2 characters out of 7 I think.. :)

Can you please PM  you email? I am looking forward to pass on some additional pictures to you and other subjects of speculations, if be honest I am getting to nowhere at this point..So your thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards 

There are a few people here who are quite apt at recognising characters in seal script, but it would require better pictures, and preferrably separate pictures per character instead of how you’ve done it here.

In some cases you may not even have the character facing right-side up. But it’s hard to tell when there’s glare. I’d certainly trade character size for better quality, as the spacing for these are not that cramped,

Lighting is critical when you photograph inscriptions. If you use flash or other head-on lighting you wash out the inscription. You want lighting from the side, so there's a shadow in the inscription that brings it out. It takes some time and patience and experimentation to get it right.

• 1 month later...