Chinese-Forums

How to learn Chinese words (actually, any language system's words, I think)

digitalsignal

Prepare some paper card on your desk,en,like some blank business card.
Read an article,write the new word on the lower half of the card and the explanation on upper half of the card.After you finishd the article,maybe you got ten or hundred new words,depend on your language skill and the length of the article.

Next step is critical:

Collect those cards into a stack,draw the card witch at the bottom of  stack till you can see the new word but not see the means.If you rember it's meanning,throw it aside,if not,put it back on the top of the stack.Circulate this action until the whole stakc of cards been thrown away.

This circulation is brutal and violent and bloody for your brain.But it's very efficient.

After this critical process,you can put those words into whatever a learning software.All of those softwares are base on the study curve theory which  developed by a German psychologist(I forgot his name).Software will remind you in time when the review time point reached.

I've used lot of software,all of them compliant that German theory but only one combined with that critical step

Use that software I've been remembered 100 English words /hour,5000words in 6 months.

this is not an software AD.So find it by yourself or use the card.:)

5 hours ago, digitalsignal said:

After this critical process,you can put those words into whatever a learning software.

5 hours ago, digitalsignal said:

I've been remembered 100 English words /hour,5000words in 6 months.

And there I was ready to make a bunch of hilarious jokes about how this would allow me to learn 4500 Chinese words in three months, and wouldn't it be great if someone could automate this process electronically, perhaps on some kind of handheld device.  But you just had to go and ruin it didn't you?

• Like 3

In an attempt to be critically constructive, may I suggest you type English with a space after every comma and full stop. It makes it a lot more comfortable for native speakers to read, and will perhaps make your arguments more persuasive.

• Helpful 3

2 hours ago, Shelley said:

I am sure I couldn't say all that in their native tongue, I wonder what that is.

It's Chinese.

You know, East Asian languages use full-width punctuation marks ,。、;:?!——…… and there is no space anywhere.

Most Chinese students never had a typing lesson and they seldom have a chance to use English in written communication.

When you see English texts like this on the internet,you can be 90% sure the writer is Chinese.It's a telling sign of Chinese English(though I've seen South Asians/Middle Easterners committing the same crime.Not sure why).

But on the bright side, they would never misspell it's, you're, they're...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Publius said:

(though I've seen South Asians/Middle Easterners committing the same crime.Not sure why).

I can at least maybe explain the middle eastern reason. Even though you need punctuation spaces in Arabic script it’s not unheard of that people won’t use them when texting and stuff. Where it gets easy to miss is that Arabic punctuation is full size characters compared to Arabic letters which appear smaller than the Roman alphabet when typed usually. (Also maybe reading the opposite way they are used to does something but idk it’s mainly the punctuation thing). 

If you pull up your notes program on your phone and download an Arabic keyboard you can see this for yourself, but for some reason when I type on here they get resized to match English punctuation.

Edit: Welcome OP!

• Thanks 1

On 2018/3/31 at 3:35 AM, Tomsima said:

In an attempt to be critically constructive, may I suggest you type English with a space after every comma and full stop. It makes it a lot more comfortable for native speakers to read, and will perhaps make your arguments more persuasive.

Thanks a lot! I'd never noticed that.