Chinese-Forums

BNU - Average student age

Harvey

Someone can just throw the answer to this up into the definitive guide to studying in beijing sticky.

What is the average age of students studying in BNU?

I have heard that BLCU is about 18-23 or so.

Just curious! I'm 25 and will likely be 26 when I head over. I don't wanna be the old boy if it's at all avoidable! Hah.

I'm around BNU campus fairly often. I'd say the average age is probably around early / mid-twenties - ie people in the middle of a degree (SOAS in London sends students to BNU, although I don't know if they take the mainstream classes) or just finished a degree at home and following that up with lanauge study. I'd say that's probably true for most places, to be honest - most students in early / mid twenties, with a few older students of random ages.

I'm guessing though.

yeah i agree with roddy.

actually i'm studying in the department of english in BNU. the average age of chinese undergraduate students here is about 17-23, but language students and graduate students are of random ages.

in my class there are two koreans. one was born in 1984 and the other was born in 1979. so i think it's not a problem for you to study here :- )

When I got into the university (aged 17-18), I had this freshman classmate who was 26. And he had a girl's name. But he got on well with all the rest of us.

I guess what I want to say is that age should not matter.

Sorry if this is irrelevant.

Is there a lot of mixing between the language students and the degree students?

I would be going over as a language student, and was actually more curious about the age spread there.

Hrm... I have been reading a lot on these forums... and so far i think I'm leaning towards BNU...

In general degree students and foreign students don't mix much. The Japanese and Korean students, as well as Westerners, tend to form their own social groups. But it can be done if you actually try to interact with degree students. Eat at the regular student cafeteria, go to BNU events, join a club, or just play basketball and you can meet a lot of cool people (and help your Chinese)