Chinese-Forums

风评 - reputation?

necroflux

I came across the term "feng1 ping2" (风评) in my reading of a DBZ comic book, here is the entire sentence:

"你们的风评很差“

Any clue what feng1 ping2 is here? Wind/News + critique/judge = reputation perhaps?

Thanks! -Adam

necroflux, i dont think '风评' is a chinese word, but since its from a comic book, its better to refer to the context. so is '风评' a person, or a kind of article? anyway,'凤' (phenix, emperor) is always taken for '风' (wind),so '凤评' may exist. i heard of '凤驾' (the vehicle for emperor)‘凤诏’(the command from emperor). but i dont think 'comment from emperor' is reasonable because emperor neednt to suggest sb. to do sth. whats more, if we assume '凤评' does exist, thats from emperor (only one person), it doesnt comply with '你们的' (your). and also from the point of mood, the speaker seems to use '很差' to criticise some one else, but '凤' is used to show respect and humbleness. and thats a contradiction. so i am quite confused by the sentence. :-? . so if there is any other explanation, please share with me.

skylee, thank you for telling me that. but i am still confused. can you tell me where does this originate and whats meaning for '风' ? also, i search it with Baidu and find that this word seems to be widely used in Taiwan, so is that Taiwan dialect? thank you! :help

hehe, I think 風評 can be understood as comments carried around by the wind (so people hear about them). My dictionary (朗文中文高級新辭典) gives these two explanations, among others, under the character 風 -

4. 消息:通風報信/聞風而動

5. 傳聞的,無確實根據的:風言風語

I can't tell you where this term came from (maybe someone else could), and I don't think it is Taiwan dialect. 呵呵

What do you mean by Taiwan dialect anyway?

thank you skylee. i have been working on this word recently, however, with no luck to find more about it. :)

and Taiwan dialect, i meant '台湾方言'----- i just wanted to confirm whether this word is widely used in Taiwan or southern china. Because we are not using that in the Northern china.