Chinese-Forums

Shanghai Jiaotong University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Shanghai Jiaotong University. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Shanghai Jiaotong University goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

See here for Shanghai Jiaotong's English-taught Masters on Chinese Politics and Economy.

• 6 years later...

Old topic but is there anyone going to study at Shanghai Jiao Tong ("Jiao Da") Uni? Or has anyone studied there before? It would be great to hear about someone's experience there.

I will be the Chinese language student at Jiao Da starting from September 2013 (one-year programme). I would like to know more about the accommodation, study programme (satisfied/not satisfied), on-campus activities and anything else what might be relevant before I leave.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi Chunzu,

No, not at all. I wish I had someone to share their first impressions with me, so I am happy to help.

I've been here for 2 weeks already but had classes since Monday only. I really like it so far. It's difficult to tell you more about the class size because it really depends on a level you manage to get to. We had to take a written test (on a computer) and two oral tests/interviews to determine our levels, so I only made it to the Beginners Level 2 and my class is pretty big - 27 people. That being said, in reality there is usually only around 20 people who actually show up at the classes (some people have families/jobs etc.) Classes are divided into: spoken, listening and reading. I really enjoy reading classes because the teacher is amazing and she really puts an effort into making sure that everyone gets asked questions - we also have a dictation on a black board every week, which gives some extra pressure (in a positive way). I don't like spoken Chinese classes mostly because of the teacher but that might be a personal thing. The books are typical Chinese books with quite awkward dialogues sometimes but then again the teacher makes it work and makes it more practical; they're called Hanyu Jiaocheng.

What I like about this Uni the most is the location! It's situated in such a great and central area. The dorm is fine too.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to post them on this forum and maybe it will be helpful for someone else, who is in the decision-making process as well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi @shikeqi, I want to take Chinese courses for 1 year at Jiatong too. Why did you choose Jiatong? I heard Fudan is good too but as you said Jiatongs location is very better than Fudan. My main question ise: I read from the internet site of Jiatong that non-degree students (Language students) can not stay at the jiatongs dorms. Does it change? Cause i really want to learn it, because i want to study at Jiatong but i need to stay at the dorms.

Hi Oga,

Yeah, I've heard about this "rumour" before and some of my teachers still think we can't stay at the dorms although this is where most of us are staying. There are two dorm buildings for foreigners on Xuhui Campus - Building 9 and Lian Xing Bldg (http://en.sjtu.edu.cn/about-sjtu/life-sjtu/accommodation/international-student-apartments-on-xuhui-campus/). I am a language-student myself and I live at the dorm, same as a lot of my classmates, so it's a rumour only.

I chose JiaoDa mainly because of its location & great reputation. It's second best Uni in Shanghai (after Fudan) I believe...

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I will be going to jiaotong in febuary for the spring semester and will be staying in the minhang campus, i was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas what the single accommodation is like in building 10? I'm currently studying in sichuan and had a nasty surprise when it came to accommodation and would do much to avoid anymore unnecessary surprises :(

also I will be taking business classes and would appreciate if there are any tips on what modules are interesting to take!

Thanks in advance

I have a question when it comes to applying for Shanghai Government Scholarships for International Students (Type A) vs the Chinese Government Scholarship. Jiaotong says there is a quota for 30 students when it comes to the Chinese Government Scholarship but there is no quota assigned for the Shanghai Government Scholarships. I really want to get in so I'm having trouble deciding on which one to apply for since I can only apply for one according to people in the office. I don't know what other factors are taken into account like country, etc. Which one seems like the best one?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ive been accepted to sjtu's imba program for september. And they already want to pay 1 year tuition by june 15 for the sept intake.. I find it a bit too soon... Is this normal?

I did a language course in tsinghua and i paid upon class registration.

Anyone have insights on sjtus imba program?

• 3 weeks later...