Chinese-Forums

I need a note to put on the windshields of cars that block other cars in. Can anyone help?

vellocet

Friends of mine keep getting their cars blocked in by insensitive jerks who park their cars wherever they like.  What we need is a really passive-aggressive, sock-it-to-em note to stick under their windshields, so hopefully they don't do it again.  My Chinese isn't nearly good enough.  Can anyone help?  :tong

Really?  You think a Chinese driver about to block someone in is going to see a note in the windshield and then change their mind?  You are far too optimistic about Chinese motorists.

My advice is that they park somewhere they can't be blocked in, or park like an insensitive jerk themselves.

• Like 2

I'll let somebody who has better Chinese than me actually help you, but I agree with @somethingfunny

My apartment complex had a single exit from which all cars going in or out had to pass; it was only wide enough for one car. Every night, the parking lot would be full and people would block the exit. Those cars were often not gone by 8 am when most of my neighbors were trying to leave the parking lot to go to work. I saw people punching the car, kicking it, screaming at the 保安, screaming at the offender, demanding the police do something. More than once, I saw half a dozen angry, dejected-looking car owners trudge towards the bus stop, unable to free their cars in time to get to work. I lived in that apartment for a year, and it was the exact same story in September 2016 and September 2017. This is in an apartment complex with around 6 单元, so not exactly huge. I doubt a note will do anything. :(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

Really?  You think a Chinese driver about to block someone in is going to see a note in the windshield and then change their mind?  You are far too optimistic about Chinese motorists.

How would they see the note?  If they haven't blocked anyone in, then the note would not appear.

It's not really to stop them this time, it's to maybe make them think about it next time. How would they even know they've done anything wrong, unless someone tells them? I get the idea that they aren't even aware they're screwing with other people's lives. Plus give the laowai a sense of having done something before trudging off.  

Anyway, I'm not really looking for a discussion about the viability, I just want help translating since my Chinese sucks.

Ah yes, sorry I see I misread your post.

I guess putting a note in their windshield may be more effective.

I'm not sure what the best message would be, but you will almost certainly want to finish it with something like 再做后果自负 in massive bold characters.  Then you've basically got free reign to smash their ride up if they do it again.

58 minutes ago, vellocet said:

It's not really to stop them this time, it's to maybe make them think about it next time. How would they even know they've done anything wrong, unless someone tells them?

Can't help you with the note itself, but I applaud your attitude. I agree, it probably won't help directly, but it's good to point out to people doing obnoxious things that they are making others' lives difficult.

Personally I find notes like the one pictured above unnecessary. There is no need to swear.

I think a note that just says "The way you park blocks the exit, please consider others when you choose where to park. Thank you"

I am sure if I saw the first note I would just screw it up in a ball and ignore it. The other version might well make them look around and realise I could park more considerately.

Take the high ground, be the better man/woman and at least you will come out of it all with your integrity intact if not your parking space.

If all else fails park elsewhere and consider the walk good for your health.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Most cars that block people in leave a number in the windscreen here. It seems custom just to block other cars in, then leave a number to contact if you need them to move. Every time my wife phones the number to ask them to move, they're usually there and moved within a few minutes. It's a hassle, but just something that seems so normal here. If they haven't left a note, there's a non-emergency police number which you can contact and tell them the number plate and location, then they'll contact the driver to tell them to move. I find if you try to confront drivers about it personally and complain then they will just try to cause even more inconvenience for you. 

• Helpful 1

13 hours ago, 889 said:

Indeed, there's a good reason why most Chinese in this situation grumble but don't make a fuss.

I disagree. You shouldn't pick a fight of course, but in case of queue-jumping I've had a lot of success with telling the jumper that Hey, the line starts over there and we are all waiting in it. Same in this case: the parker might ignore a note, but it is possible that it opens their eyes to the fact that other people exist and might want to use the exit.

• Like 2

I gotta be honest, what I was looking for was a set of pithy phrases in Chinese.  Not really an extended discussion of the surrounding events.  If anyone can help, so much thanks in advance! :tong

" . . . but in case of queue-jumping I've had a lot of success with telling the jumper that Hey, the line starts over there and we are all waiting in it. Same in this case."

No no no. Not the same at all. The guy that owns the car probably lives near you. He can probably find out who you are. Or his friends can. And people with cars in China tend to think of themselves as particularly privileged and entitled.

As the old saying goes, pick your fights carefully.

And as for queue-jumpers, there was the young woman who wouldn't move back after I made the usual polite request. But when I then remarked 你真无耻! oh, the fury. You would have thought I'd called her a child-murderer right there in the station.