Chinese-Forums

Is the character 和 always pronounced hàn in Taiwan?

LuDaibola

I feel embarrassed to ask such a basic question but, honestly, I couldn't find the answer in a Google search (as I've stated elsewhere my browser is now in Mandarin making searches a bit difficult for me) and I never thought about this until I came across the word for "peace" - 和平 - which would be pronounced hépíng in China.   This made me realize that a number of words contain this character and, since my dictionary uses pronunciations as spoken in China (with an occasional note about a variation in pronunciation in Taiwan), the pinyin will always be hé, hè, huò, or huó.  Surely this isn't always pronounced hàn in Taiwan.

This also leads me to wonder if anyone knows of a dictionary that includes Taiwan pronunciations consistently.   Thanks in advance.

BTW, I just found out about the latest E. coli outbreeak and saw that a number of those who became ill are from Pennsylvania where I live.  The CDC is not sure but they think it's related to romaine lettuce and is particularly linked to a specific company.  Well, I've eated two huge salads in the past two days and, you guessed it, the salad mixes came from that company.  I'm actually not that worried...even though I'm older, my immune system is pretty strong.  But if I disappear from this site, you'll know why.  I'm kidding.  I did want to mention this, though, because I rarely watch the news and this outbreak seems to be really widespread; in fact, Consumer Reports is saying that if you live in Canada or the US you should stop eating romaine lettuce, period, until they figure out what's going on.  So, either cook your lettuce well or throw it out.  

Okay,.  I've found the answer myself.  I just searched the last book in the Glossika Taiwan Mandarin series (which I haven't gotten to yet) and immediately found an example of a word 暖和的 where the pinyin is nuǎnde.  I should have thought of doing this before I posted.  Sorry about that.

4 hours ago, LuDaibola said:

I just searched the last book in the Glossika Taiwan Mandarin series (which I haven't gotten to yet) and immediately found an example of a word 暖和的 where the pinyin is nuǎnde. 

And for extra confusion, how would that be pronounced in Beijing?

暖和 is nuǎnhuo, no? I didn't even know it's different in Taiwan (but that might just be my lack of knowledge. My pronunciation is a well-mixed bag of Chinese and Taiwanese Mandarin).

和 is rarely pronounced hàn in Taiwan, even when it means 'and'. I had a Japanese classmate with pretty bad Chinese who consistently said hàn, but apart from him I've rarely heard anyone say it.

The pronunciations of 和 are a feast that never ends. When you win a majiang game it's also 和, but pronounced hú.

• Like 1

When in doubt, you could try checking the English Wiktionary. Our coverage of variant pronunciations (including mainland/Taiwan standards) is pretty good now. See for example and 暖和. According to us and the 兩岸詞典 provided in the moedict software, 暖和 is pronounced nuǎnhuo on both sides of the Strait. Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, imron said:

If you look at any books from taiwan with zhuyinfuhao annotation they exclusively use hàn as the pronunciation when used to mean with/and.

Agreed.  I've been using Glossika sentences in the Fluency series specifically designed for Mandarin speakers from Taiwan and have always felt confident that their pronunciation of any word is how it would be expressed in Taiwan because the company is based in Taiwan and the founder, Michael Campbell, has lived in Taiwan for years.  They always use hàn with the with/and usage of 和.  The character doesn't appear as part of another word until Book 3, which as I said above, I hadn't gotten to yet.

11 hours ago, tooironic said:

When in doubt, you could try checking the English Wiktionary.

Thanks for this tip.  What an amazing site!  It seems, however, that you are assuming that anyone interested in knowing Taiwan standard pronunciation would be familiar with zhuyin, and while that's understandable, it's not true in my case.  I'm guessing there may be a zhuyin-pinyin translator out there and the next time this situation arises, I'll look for it.  I'm happy to know about this site, however, because despite the fact that I'm not learning Hanzi, I often try to learn the etymology of words since it makes it easier for me to remember them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Bro, "和" is pronounced as "hen" in Taiwan because of some historical issues. This accent is actually from Beijing that in the 1940s, people in Beijing pronounced 和 as “hen” and after the CPC took the throne, people who migrated to Taiwan kept this pronunciation while people in the Chinese Mainland changed their pronunciation of 和 (when it means with, and) to "he".