Chinese-Forums

Confused--is 空調 pronounced kòngtiáo or kōngtiáo

LuDaibola

空調 is short for 空氣調節(器). 空 stands for 空氣. You pronounce 空 the same way you pronounce 空氣, which is kong1qi4.

You can easily find the pronunciation in authoritative dictionaries from both sides of the strait:

《现代汉语词典》http://www.guoxuedashi.com/kangxi/pic.php?f=xdhycd&p=742

《教育部重編國語辭典》http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cbdic/gsweb.cgi?o=dcbdic&searchid=Z00000078791

Machine translation is not a mature technology and it won't be any time soon. Google Translate is not a reliable source. Not for translation. Not for pronunciation. Period.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Thanks for clearing this up for me and for giving me the non-abbreviated version.  I think when I said "other sources" I must have been referring to the numerous places where I'd written kong4tiao2 because I'd adopted Google's pinyin early on and didn't notice the discrepancy until today.  I take your point regarding Google and, henceforth, will trust my dictionaries.  (I also appreciate the Taiwan dictionary link...exactly what I've been needing.)   

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:32 AM, Hofmann said:

Don't know why Google Translate says otherwise yet.

For the same reason it gives 我姓曾 as wǒ xìng céng instead of wǒ xìng Zēng - because machine translation is not 100% reliable and it makes mistakes.

I agree with Publius.  Google translate should not be used as an authoritative source.