Chinese-Forums

Facebook Login

Facebook Bob

For those of us who don't have -- and will never have -- Facebook accounts, are we nonetheless being tracked around the web by Facebook because Facebook has a linked log-in here, and on other sites we visit? What information if any is Facebook given about users here? (The privacy policy only mentions "advertisers" here putting cookies on our machines.)

• Good question! 4

Nothing from the log-in. The share buttons aren't loaded from Facebook, so there's no info there. The only thing I can see that we load from a Facebook server for all members is some people's avatars - for example, @AaronUK's avatar. 

I'd actually be interested to know if people in China can see Aaron's avatar on his profile.

But that avatar looks like it serves as a web beacon, and loads even though I don't see any avatar on the home page:

side.facebook.com/platform/profilepic/?asid=10100330959703764&height=200&width=200&ext=1524577195&hash=AeRgr2o2aCP7pSes

Does everyone get the same link?

Tried it on the phone, and with Opera instead of Firefox. Nothing. Then tried it through a VPN on the phone. Nothing again.

Let's wait and see who else can't see AaronUK.

(But I do get the word at the top "AaronUK" in tiny letters which links to his profile. Is that his avatar, without an image?)

I'll see if I can stop those avatars - it kind of happens automatically when someone signs up via Facebook and wants to automatically have their profile photo update here if they change it on Facebook.

where did my images go :tong haha

do many other people even use Facebook sign in? I also use it on italki and they have an option to set a password after so you can login using the email they acquired from Facebook and the newly set password, so you no longer need to use the FB log in buttons. I can see there is a password update in account settings. I kind of am wondering if I created an account the regular way and linked my Facebook after or if I just joined solely through Facebook login. I don't really remember now.

Anyway, if you ever want me to go through some test scenarios let me know. 

fb.JPG

3 minutes ago, roddy said:

This'll be fixed with the next update, which I've got pencilled in for early May. Something to do with Facebook changing how they delivered images and a quick fix being needed. 

没事 considering FB media attention with sharing data with other platforms I imagine their APIs will get a lot of random changes.