Chinese-Forums

Games using Chinese..

Flickserve

I am not a gamer. 

I saw some posts that say playing games can help a bit of Chinese. So I would like to try out a couple of games. 

Can anyone suggest a few games. Probably a simpler type one and a more intermediate one. 

Just to clarify, I am not looking for a chinese learning app that uses games to learn Chinese. Just games that use Chinese.

Would like to try games that do not need full access to your folder, contacts list, pictures, wardrobe nor toilet seat in order to work. (android) 

Thanks in advance for suggestions 

• Like 1

I always found RPGs to be great for language learning, especially turn-based ones. The content is usually written in a way that's way easier than your average book or newspaper. Another advantage is that most turn-based RPGs only proceed to the next line of dialogue after an input from the user, so you can spend as much time as you'd like looking up characters etc.

For Android I would recommend Chrono Trigger, for PC Final Fantasy X, and for PS4 Dragon Quest XI (remember to buy the Japanese/Chinese edition).

I tried playing a few games back in the day.  Problem is, a lot of the vocabulary is very specialized and has no use outside the game.  I was learning words like "spell", "potion", and so on.  I preferred to spend my valuable study time on actual useful vocabulary instead.  

I'd suggest Majiang, at least you'll learn the numbers and some useful vocabulary for playing IRL when the chance inevitably comes up.  I found one the other day called Let's Mahjong in 70's Hong Kong Style which has some cool culture in it.  Either that or Dou Di Zhu, both are widely played.  

• Helpful 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:09 PM, vellocet said:

I preferred to spend my valuable study time on actual useful vocabulary instead. 

If you like playing those sorts of games though, then by definition such words are actual useful vocabulary because they regularly occur in content you encounter.

• Like 1