Chinese-Forums

VPN

lakesandrivers

Subscribed to ExpressVPN. There is now a three-month free special deal. And boy, talk about easy configuration and test ("What is My IP?")! *Thumbs up*

Here is to hoping that this works from behind the Great Firewall.

@mungouk I have also downloaded installers for the others, 万一。。

• Like 1

@mungouk Will arrive in Shenyang next Thu 6 Sep, after spending around two months with mom. My "destiny" takes me away long-term to places tens of thousands of kilometers away from her. First it was eastern Australian cities, and now Shenyang.

20 hours ago, mungouk said:

feeling of excitement, confusion and utter panic ?

Definitely. I am again longing for that sense of adventure, of only one suitcase arriving at an airport one has never been to and seeking out that "Taxi Stand". When I  landed in Australia for the first time as a skilled migrant in Sydney eight years ago, that took me quite a few minutes :D License to practice, here I begin!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in terms of man-hours it was practically an entire day spent troubleshooting with ExpressVPN Support and a while more to setup Astrill. 

Firstly, it was not the fault of ExpressVPN. On the iPhone, it worked as intended, as in simply configure the app and Gmail would again be accessible. The culprit that I could not fix was a connector application, called SingleNet, that the ISP (China Telecom) imposes on its customers. The mystery was that the SingleNet app on iPhone did not interfere with ExpressVPN, but on Windows 10 it unraveled the very raison d'etre of a VPN software. Consistently, without it, the unblocked sites were fine, but with it turned on the entire Internet was inaccessible. ExpressVPN on Windows worked flawlessly when I turned the iPhone into a hotspot.

Oh, note that damn SingleNet on fully patched Windows 10 would run into "virtual machine" errors. You would need to edit your bootloader to not load virtual machine, or something to that effect. Yes, googling required.

And as it turned out foreign and some local students here rely on Astrill. So now I am an Astrill man and have lodged for refund from ExpressVPN in accordance with their 30-day refund policy. Hey, now I get Youtube videos on 1080p on both devices. That is the real measurement of speed :D

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:57 PM, Tiri said:

NordVPN

@Tiri I tried the 3-day trial. Nothing works for NordVPN on both my laptop and iPhone. This VPN would stay at "Loading" stage for minutes on end, to no avail.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Anyone having issues with ExpressVPN

Was OK for me until today... now I'm not able to connect to any servers, even though I've tried loads, using both my broadband connection and via my phone.

They sent an email out yesterday saying we should probably expect things to get tightened up around 1st October.

As you may be aware, around major political events or anniversaries in China, escalated censorship can sometimes reduce VPN connection speed and reliability in the country.

With China's National Day coming up on October 1, 2019, we are already seeing some other VPN providers being affected. Our engineers are preparing for the possibility of further escalation and ensuring we are well-positioned to minimize any potential impact on your ability to connect with ExpressVPN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Anyone having issues with ExpressVPN in the last few days. I tried a load of servers and no joy

Yep, same with me too. I normally don't have any problem connecting before around 6pm, but recently it has been difficult, even in the morning. Currently connected via Bulgaria, but the speed is pretty slow (Youtube defaulting to 144p). Looks like we are all in for another two weeks of this. 国庆节快乐!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StChris said:

Currently connected via Bulgaria, but the speed is pretty slow

thanks Chris, I managed to connect to the bulgaria server, thanks for the tip, i tried about 15 before that one. its very slow as you say but enough to send a few important Gmails!

• 2 months later...

I'm unable to connect to anywhere, not even once, with ExpressVPN since this morning.

Their China Updates page says:

Update as of 8:30 GMT / 16:30 GMT+8, December 4, 2019

We’re aware of a new escalation in blocks in China this week and are working around the clock to improve connectivity.

Has anyone successfully connected to one of the more obscure servers?  Even Bulgaria, Lithuania and Liechtenstein are no good today it seems.

I was using both ibVPN and ExpressVPN when I first arrived... I recently cancelled my subscription to ibVPN because Express was much more reliable, and it was the only one I was using in the end.

If they're cracking down properly on the most popular providers then I'm wondering if I should be running my own private server back home.