Chinese-Forums

Interested in doing a exchange program in highschool or collage

Jackcsw

Hey all jack here! And today I wondering a question! So as if right now I will be a senior in the fall of this year with graduating highschool in 2019. I am very interested in studying Chinese I really like the idea of the language! I started learning this January of 2018 and I am still a beginner! But I really want to learn fast and such! So my question is it possible for me to go to an exchange program in my senior year? Or should I learn the language more and wait untill collage? Or should I just not do it at all? I know this may sound dumb but I was just trying to figure out what to do! Thanks so much and I appreciate it

• Good question! 1

1 hour ago, Jackcsw said:

is it possible for me to go to an exchange program in my senior year? Or should I learn the language more and wait until college?

Do both, if you can! The more time in-country, the better.

But keep in mind that there is no fast way to learn Chinese, it's a long-term project, no matter how hard you work. Good luck, and come back here whenever you have questions!

• Like 1

Consider looking into the Rotary International Exchange program. It's very cost-effective, and you'll live with three (usually) separate host families while you're there, for ~10 months. You'd attend the local high school (even though you'd graduate high school here first). This gives you an unparalleled experience, very different from what you'll get if you go as an exchange student in college, where you might not have host families, and definitely won't be enrolled at a local high school. 

You'd probably be doing it as a gap year, as I did. If this is the case, you'll graduate high school (you can walk, but don't actually pick up your transcript until after you leave the country - some kind of weird Rotary rule) and then leave for Taiwan in August 2019, and get back in June/July of 2020, in time to start college Fall 2020.

As far as I know, Rotary operates in Taiwan but not on the mainland. But this should absolutely not be a deterrence. 

• Like 2

Jack, have you thought about attending a university in China after you graduate from high school? Or perhaps a summer Chinese language program at a university in China? (My university in China hosts such summer Chinese language programs every summer.)

Start learning Chinese characters! Ask for advice on how to do this.

You many already know, but Google Translate is a good way to do Chinese-English translations.

https://translate.google.com/

Here is another good site:

https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary

Use these sites to translate this into English: 你好

• Like 1