Chinese-Forums

Any tips for remembering Chengyu? (成语)

Mijin

I recently did a trial lesson at a new school, and I noted that about 1/3 of the new words were chengyu (in case there are any curious newbs, they are 4 (usually) character idioms).

There are two issues with this. The first is, I'm not sure of their utility. The only time I seem to hear them are in Chinese lessons and from Chinese who can speak English, telling me "Here's an expression you should know...". I don't tend to hear them in conversation (but then my listening skills are terrible).

The other issue is that I've never found a good way to commit them to memory. It's not enough to remember the meaning e.g. "As little effort as lifting a finger" because there are multiple characters that have a meaning of "lift" or "effort", and chengyu often use the less common one if anything (plus if you are going to remember the English translation like that you may get confused and think "little" is part of the chengyu). Any tips?

• Good question! 1

My $0.02. 

成语 is idiom, to express one's meaning in as few words and length as possible. It makes for elegant writing and speech. Daily conversation is too 俗,IMHO :D

For example below, that was a lot of words:

这个怎么跟你解释呢,反正到时候你来了就知道了。

In short, she meant 百闻不如一见 (six-character 成语)。

1.thumb.jpg.0b9a922c72e79b8ca43a7abfb51fd279.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d7158a2ee8ca241f05c8405f48520deb.jpg

Usage depends on the dynamics of the folks engaged in the conversation. Among my family and friends, where appropriate, idioms will be used, be it Mandarin or English. It can even describe a scenario perfectly, for example when my friends and I drove to a famous lake in Sydney as a form of farewell for one of them. There, shockingly, he met his nemesis who interfered with his PhD (another story). I asked, "Really? Are you sure?" "Yes! I hate him!" Then I described to him that 冤家路窄 is the concise idiom. He is Mexican.

As with any language, there is one keyword (ring) that rules them all - immersion. Sounds like you have just started. Keep it at. Keep reading up and writing those most frequently used characters and before long, voila! You realize you have indeed improved. Rinse and repeat.

the only way I can remember them is if they have a personal meaning to me. Then they stick immediately.  Randomly trying to remember them is fruitless in my view and the chances are you will use in in the wrong situation or incorrect tone of voice (not meaning character tone here) 

remember, many Chengyu and idioms don't translate that well into English and context is vital.

They do come up in conversation but there is  usually a good reason or precise moment why, and often will be accompanied by a nod of approval from those listening. Randomly popping into a sentence to the  cashier in the local 7-11 will get you odd looks :D

My input: if you want to read a book comfortably, chengyu are unavoidable. If you want to make the leap from 'when you speak chinese you sound cute!' to 'your putonghua is better than mine', using chengyu (sparingly, but correctly) makes this possible.

• Like 4

Thanks all. Seems my experience is fairly typical then. And 1/3 of the 生词 being 成语 still seems excessive to me and is a slight negative for that Chinese school.

14 hours ago, lakesandrivers said:

As with any language, there is one keyword (ring) that rules them all - immersion. Sounds like you have just started. Keep it at.

Ha. In fact, I have lived in China for 5 years (just passed anniversary) and I'm studying towards, with a good chance of passing, HSK5.

(Before anyone points and laughs, although I live in China, I work, full-time for a Western company. Studying Chinese is something I have to try to do in my leisure time)

2 hours ago, Mijin said:

(Before anyone points and laughs, although I live in China, I work, full-time for a Western company. Studying Chinese is something I have to try to do in my leisure time)

I wouldn't worry about that. I know many foreigners who live in China for far longer and wouldn't pass HSK1. My Chinese has become disastrous as I hardly ever study now. Haven't opened a text book in more than year now. :shock:

Although sitting on the sofa at the moment " preparing" to study .:D Coffee pot on.