Chinese-Forums

How To Make International Calls?

Pianote

I've been dialing 00 then the country's area code but I 'm getting a message saying I must register to make international calls and that I have not done so. 

Tonight the people who I pay my phone bill to told me that their phones don't  make international calls. 

What's going on?

I feel like crying. Im having debit card and phone issues. I cant even call my bank to let them know to wait until I come there this summer to pay my credit card. This is nightmarish 

As I think I mentioned in another one of your posts. Use Skype. 

Download it if you don’t have it, set up an account, top up with some money (don’t need much, $10 maybe?), then dial away. This does depend on internet connection but it’s a very cost effective way. 

The problem you’re having with you’re mobile is that most Chinese users don’t need international calls. As a result, cell SIM cards/accounts don’t have intl calls as standard. You need to set this up / opt into intl calls through your provider. Maybe you can do this online, on the phone or in store. I’m not sure where exactly. I have heard China Unicom apparently has an English help line. 

• Helpful 2

Yes as above,  you need to call the phone  company first and tell them you want to make an international call. Not all can do it as you found out, and others like china mobile want a sizeable deposit first. Few thousand I think I was quoted.

I just use Skype . Its not great by any means but it never is in many countries outside USA in my experience   

Oddly enough using 3G to call abroad it's more stable that using wifi in my apartment. :wall

Edit: bear in mind, international calls are not cheap through a Chinese mobile provider! 

• Helpful 1

There's those IP phone numbers too, IIRC you call them and they connect internationally for you VOIP, (you dial the IP number prefix then your desired foreign number) then you pay a set per minute rate: https://baike.baidu.com/item/IP电话

ETA Not as good a Skype but if you can find a number for a service in your area you can dial right away.

China Mobile has eliminated the deposit requirement for international outbound calls and international roaming, but you do have to open the service, online or by SMS, though it's very easy if someone helps you with the Chinese. I'm pretty sure the other operators have followed suit. (Just to be clear, we're talking mobile here not landline.)

But I agree Skype is a better bet.

8 minutes ago, 889 said:

China Mobile has eliminated the deposit requirement for international outbound calls and international roaming, but you do have to open the service, online or by SMS, though it's very easy if someone helps you with the Chinese. I'm pretty sure the other operators have followed suit. (Just to be clear, we're talking mobile here not landline.)

Thanks 889, thats useful to know, when did that happen? i might just open it up now, but I'd imagine that the call cost is still pretty steep. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pianote said:

Do you think my American bank would understand if I explained my situation and told I will be there to pay my debt off in 2 months?

There is absolutely no point asking this question on here, in a topic about international phone calls. Try here, or similar.

• Like 1