Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Nicole B

What does this mean?

Nicole B

Had this tattoo for a while and honestly forgot the meaning. Can anyone help?5410601B-21FA-4072-8553-DD9003E06E64.thumb.jpeg.092a822041202d96d1c07db63e9cdc89.jpeg

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

DavyJonesLocker

患得患失 (huàndé huànshī ) 

Means to worry about personal gains and losses, I.e to focus too much on gaining or losing in life

患 = Worry

得 = To gain , acquire

失 = To lose (opposite to 得)

I'm not too familiar with this so others will have better explanation and better context

• Like 1

Tomsima

worried you won't be able to get something, then when you do get it, you worry that you will lose what you have gained. A more modern meaning is to be overcautious in decision making, constantly worrying and weighing up the pros and cons. The phrase originates from Confucius' the Analects.

• Helpful 2

Tomsima

For those interested, after discussing this chengyu yesterday, I happened to bump into it in the wild today during my reading, which gives some good context on how it should be understood in modern Mandarin. It appears in a list of negative mental states in which a person will not be able to write calligraphy well, and here appears to carry the meaning of 'mentally uncertain and thus indecisive'

S80517-15514987.jpg