Chinese-Forums

Lawyer Tells Me My Contract Is Unfair And Suggests I Find Another Job. Help!

Pianote

They could come and stay but if it was with a view to work they might have to go back to your home country (USA?) to do the visa process etc. Bear that in mind as it would increase costs. You’d have to look into whether it was possible for your agent/school to transfer a tourist to a work visa at that time. 

• Like 1

If you're happy where you are, then stay! Don't underestimate the difficulty of finding such a place or how miserable you'll be in a place that doesn't treat you well.

Of course ask for a bit more, though. Everyone everywhere thinks they're underpaid and deserve a raise. Just don't make it a do-or-die issue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 889 said:

Of course ask for a bit more, though.

She's mentioned a 500Y raise. That's 5%, not too shabby. 

In a similar situation I'd be holding onto the cushy job very tightly, and if I wanted more money be using those breaks or three day weekends for some private tutoring (carefully, without annoying my employer). 

• Like 1

"She's mentioned a 500Y raise. That's 5%, not too shabby."

Sure. But I just think that going through life you shouldn't be shy about asking for yet a bit more. It adds up. Of course there are good ways and not so good ways of doing this: learning how to ask for a raise is an important life skill.

I split off the more general posts.

@889, generally I think you're right, but I think there are good and bad times to ask for a raise, and just after you got a 5% raise is, I think, not a good time to ask for another one. Also, it's quite possible that Pianote got that raise because she in fact asked for it.

• Like 1