Chinese-Forums

Upcoming downtime

roddy

Just a quick heads-up - will need to take the site offline for a while sometime this week (I'm hoping tomorrow, but will depend on work) for an upgrade. Nothing very substantial on the front end at least. We'll have a new search option (Elasticsearch, for those in the know), native emoji support, better notification emails (can include recent topics / recommended content). Dismissable announcements, which will be handy. Will also be bumping up a php version (7.0 to 7.2). I'll probably also have another shot at using a content delivery network - tried it before but it was causing some problems so turned it off, but there are benefits that make it worth trying.

Hopefully won't be too long, but could be a few hours. Will give warning before starting so you don't lose any long posts. 

Lots of hugs and kisses

Roddy

• Like 3

That seemed to go quite smoothly. Need to do a bit more figuring out before I make changes to search. Had to remove the blogs blocks from the home page until I can update them (or manage to completely redo the home page. Now, everyone look at how emoticons work now and start complaining...

They got hacked...

Mucking about with something - we've got a database function which could allow for managing an FAQ, having listings of products, schools, services, etc. This is just how it looks as a default, could fancy it up with images and so on. Feel free to add some unserious entries if you want. 

Is this where I ask about stuff that's not working?  I'm trying to paste text into a forum reply but it's not showing.  This might just be me being inept though - although I have tried pasting it somewhere else and it worked.

Tried to add a link to a website (Pleco) in a post but the link is not actully working and is not in hypertext ie underlined and in blue. I have just got my desk top PC back today so this is the first day I have been on the forum with it so I don't know if its me or the upgrade.

Yeah, it's a problem my end.  I tried copying something from a different source and it worked no problem.  Must be something about copying from a word document.

@Shelley can you try posting a link or two in here so I can try and see what's happening. 

@somethingfunny Should still be possible to copy and paste from a Word document, and I was just able to, so if it's a persistent problem let me know. Editor problems can sometimes be caused by a clash with browser plugins and the editor code. 

@mungouk Nothing to do with me, mate, I was fast asleep ?  I can't see anything that would have caused that but if it's frequent or at a regular time let me know. 

Apologies for recent error messages - the host took a more immediate and hands-on approach to troubleshooting than I was expecting. Can't guarantee it won't happen again in the next few hours.