Chinese-Forums

Any bikers on here?

DavyJonesLocker

When I saw the title of the topic I thought yes I am a semi retired biker, still ride my Triumph when the sun shines. A fair weather biker you could say, but then I read the post and thought ah no, but after thinking about it I thought I will share anyway.

It was once my idle day dream to ride a bike across China in my much younger days, but that was in the 70's and so much more difficult to do.

I hope you find out what you need to know.

well, I', more that happy to widen the scope of the post! i can find out about my questions elsewhere, just more curious about foreigners experience riding bikes in China. I think I have all the information to hand anyway, just more curious about the details

i have been on and off bikes for 25 years but living in large cities makes it a bit difficult and not worthwhile at times. Also rainy UK makes is somewhat miserable if the weather turns. 

1 hour ago, Shelley said:

It was once my idle day dream to ride a bike across China in my much younger days, but that was in the 70's and so much more difficult to do.

Me too, i will do it one day, convinced. Yunnan, sichuan must be lovely by bike. 

i have my chinese bike licence so at least thats one step

Mentioned in a recent post first job back in China was in rural development. We were in a county closed to foreigners way up in the mountains but we got a visit off a bold Aussie who was touring China on one of those sidecar combos who had somehow heard about us.

5 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

i have my chinese bike licence so at least thats one step

How did you manage that? I wanted to go the 光明正大 route as it were, but found it a case of 'no we can't do that. try asking 'some other person' on 'some other day'. Went on for a few months before I gave up.

8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

How did you manage that? I wanted to go the 光明正大 route as it were, but found it a case of 'no we can't do that. try asking 'some other person' on 'some other day'. Went on for a few months before I gave up.

Well I had an international driving car and bike license before so I just converted it to a Chinese license. It just means registering on this site 

http://www.chinadriver.org/m/#1235

they contact you, send you the books for study. They take you to the test center to see the exam. Pretty simple actually.  The test is in various languages. It only takes about 2or 3 days max to prepare with frequent coffee brakes.

You need a long term (>6 months visa ) though as far as I can remember

• Thanks 1