Chinese-Forums

Getting to Know Some Poems and Their Related History

Bibu

a new clip on the moon, this one  is really hard job for me, to make very sophisticated meaning of moon clearly.

望月怀远: https://youtu.be/1lM5AlTTV20

海上生明月 is the most scenic beauty in my mind, which I never experienced before coming down south China. The other one is huge snow mountains.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Bibu that is one of my favourite poems. I always enjoy hearing about it, thanks!

I do believe Tao Yuanming is a hermit. It is probably easier for a reclusive intellectual to be a hermit in a city, than for struggling, starving 农民 in remote hills to be hermits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luxi said:

I do believe Tao Yuanming is a hermit.

I agree, just point out he is not a 100 percent hermit in a Chinese mind.

It does not matter where he stays as a hermit,  as 大隐隐于世. The mind and style matters, otherwise , hermit became the worst kind: 终南捷径。 These two phrase is for HSK10, LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New video  and wish everyone a happy new year! 春节快乐!

https://youtu.be/4GT0pY8VzQM

Chinese poem illustration.

A great time followed with a great tragic, perhaps the biggest turn over in the Chinese history, per the people and country of the time, per the whole  span of Chinese history. It was told after civil war of Tang (安史之乱), China  had never reached the glory of Tang dynasty. 

This poem described  2 most elite person, One is Du Fu(杜甫) himself, the other is the top one musician Li Junnian(李龟年), the two encountered in the remote place of Changsha city ( per Tang people perspective), and remind there most splendid time in ChangAn city, the Tang capital.

This poem is a masterpiece among masterpieces of Du Fu, written in his last year of life, not  like Du Fu's other poems , simple, oral and seems with nothing expressed, Any how it is  of immense feeling beneath. People nowadays hardly can full appreciated the same as of Du Fu and Li Junnian, as we do not have such a deep and sudden falling down 
 personally as well as  national wide.

The writing techniques is demonstrated as well.(以乐景写悲情 and 留白)

江南逢李龟年
杜甫

岐王宅里寻常见,
崔九堂前几度闻。 
正是江南好风景,
落花时节又逢君。

• 1 month later...

such a long break , new poems on beauty and peach flower https://youtu.be/uab95Pnxm-Y

Most Chinese may not know the name of 崔护, but his words :人面桃花(The outlooking and peach flower) is definitely in everyone's written and oral language daily. This poem of 崔护(Cui1Hu4, the poet name) is of his own story,   could easily arouse  the touchable feeling of a common person: the appearance of a beauty and the life change over of every one.

The classic imaging of peach and peach flower in a Chinese mind is traced down to Book of Songs 桃夭, why peach was selected to resemble the Chinese family value. 

The poem, 题都城南庄, somewhat changes the imaging of peach/peach flower  after Tang dynasty, more focused on female's appearance and erotic matter, rather than family value , which is marriage and procreation.

This poem could be the only popular Tang poem that  have redundant words , the true feeling of the poet and common feeling could be aroused to a reader, make this defects as a unique feature.

题都城南庄
崔护

去年今日此门中,
人面桃花相映红。
人面不知何处去,
桃花依旧笑春风。

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/5aFHzGpyK8I

Chinese poem illustration.

A poem about spring,peony , beauty and royal  love.

This poem could be treated as the vibes of the peak hours of Tang dynasty, of the royal love between 唐玄宗, the emperor and 杨贵妃, the queen,.

The writing technique and wording also reflects the  peak hours of the Tang dynasty, everything goes to its extremest level , that only the life in heaven could compete with, which can only be composed and described  by Li Bai.

清平调·其一
李白

云想衣裳花想容,
春风拂槛露华浓。 
若非群玉山头见,
会向瑶台月下逢。

• Like 1

• 1 month later...