Chinese-Forums

You need to have a REALLY good reason to learn Chinese

i__forget

It seems almost every other topic is sensitive when you speak with Chinese people. Can you talk about politics? No. Can you talk about culture? No. Can you talk about history? No. Can you talk about football? No.

I was talking about China and the upcoming world cup and someone suggested why not talk about swimming where China is good at. I am getting tired of this, seriously.

PS: Yes we are talking about a population of more than a billion, not everyone is the same.

You've said it yourself but really just try someone different. You've listed the core topics I bang on about all the time. Not necessarily to someone sat next to me on the bus with all of them but even then have definitely cracked sport and history with strangers. Maybe it's they way you tell 'em?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

You've said it yourself but really just try someone different. You've listed the core topics I bang on about all the time. Not necessarily to someone sat next to me on the bus with all of them but even then have definitely cracked sport and history with strangers. Maybe it's they way you tell 'em?

This is in social media, written in English.

Second this happened just now. I see the picture of a beautiful beach, with lots of Chinese people. I comment: "This is beautiful, where is it?", Chinese person responds: "Raya Isnland, Thailand", then "many places are beautiful in China, welcome one day".
:shock:

Topics are sensitive only when your Chinese friends are expected to address them. You're free to babble on and be asked about your country's leadership and political issues and social problems, say, without the slightest reciprocation given in kind. Shameless. And shameful. Puts a genuine damper on any real interaction in China.

• Like 1

I think I'd change friends. I've no issues talking about these things to people but I agree sometimes the 加油 attitude is a bit irritating at times.

54 minutes ago, i__forget said:

I was talking about China and the upcoming world cup and someone suggested why not talk about swimming where China is good at.

Perfect example of ignoring the rampant drug use by the Chinese team in the past. 

• Like 1

I’m not denying that this annoying behaviour exists, I’m just saying that it is not really how I picture friends behaving. I choose to give my time to the Chinese friends I have who do not behave this way.

• Like 2

I honestly never see my Chinese friends do this on social media, neither in English nor in Chinese. I agree with 陈德聪, try finding different friends. Or interact with them differently (different language and/or different setting, offline).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, i__forget said:

Can you talk about culture? No. Can you talk about history? No. Can you talk about football? No.

That's odd. I've had no trouble with these, never ever, in over ten years. And there is definitely no problem talking about basketball. I've learned more about the NBA from my Chinese friends than I ever wanted to know. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Alex_Hart said:

Are there sensitive topics? Yep. Are there people who get offended at even mentioning those topics? Sure. How is that any different from other countries, e.g. the US? Bring up any race equality measure in the US and half the country will scream its racist against whites. Mention that maybe you shouldn't call someone x nasty word and half the country will scream "political correctness." On my college campus, any mention of "pro-Israeli" or "pro-Palestine" sentiment was shut down by the other side. This is only multiplied on social media where the trolls yell louder than anyone. 

I think Imron pointed it out, maybe the english social media posters  are mainly foreigners who are over sensitive and overly PC on any topic.

...... bit like this forum really ?

And yet here you are, day after day, because actually it's full of fantastic helpful people. It's a little tricky to run a site which brings together such a disparate group of people, so do feel free to stick a post up explaining how we could do better...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, roddy said:

And yet here you are, day after day, because actually it's full of fantastic helpful people. It's a little tricky to run a site which brings together such a disparate group of people, so do feel free to stick a post up explaining how we could do better...

Relax Roddy, . You are a overly sensitive chap.  Its just a tongue in cheek comment dude. 

Come on Davy, don't make jokes that aren't jokes and then try to say they are jokes when people don't find them funny.

That is a joke, of course. Unless you take it as one.

49 minutes ago, Lu said:

Come on Davy, don't make jokes that aren't jokes and then try to say they are jokes when people don't find them funny.

That is a joke, of course. Unless you take it as one.

i just don't get why people are so overly sensitive and uptight around here Lu..... i have not experienced this on any other forum i am on ..... srs

Well, that gives you two options:

1) Next time someone is being, in your opinion, overly sensitive and uptight, ask them why. Ask politely, be prepared to listen, and don't try to argue them out of their feelings.

2) Next time someone tells you X or Y is rude/bad/whatever, just don't say X or Y anymore. You don't necessarily have to understand their sensitivity or agree with it to take their feelings into account.

Good luck!

• Helpful 2