Chinese-Forums

You need to have a REALLY good reason to learn Chinese

i__forget

On 6/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, i__forget said:

OK ok I'll hold my horses for now ??

I am sure this guy will give you a good price for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Wu_of_Han

19 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

Hugs for everyone!!!!!!

Hugs for all.

Boo

Hugs for none

Boo

Hugs for some and small American flags for everyone

Yay

-Simpsons reference.

I can see Chinese people not being interested in discussing the footie. As a Canadian I find any sport where you don't hack away at your opponents with wooden sticks and beat on them to be weird and frighting. Gotta let that tension loose from being polite and always apologizing, gets tiring after a while, gotta hit that ice and smash some faces. I mean I know of other sports and will read newspaper articles about them but lets be honest, there is the 'ockey and there is just people farting around wasting their lives ?

As for more serious matters, history, politics, science et al. I try to avoid them. Most people don't care. Sadly when you do find someone who cares, you are more likely to have them derp on about chemtrails and other nuttiness. It's depressing. It is not rewarding to use a Chinese example to have someone claim that self determination is not important, that Tibet and Taiwan must always be part of China and then turn around and say that immigrants and Anglos [no matter how many generations back they have been in Quebec] should not be allowed to vote in referendums because it should only be up to French Quebecers what happens to their country.

There was a time when I'd talk about everything and anything to just about anyone, now I try very hard to avoid being roped into such things, not always successfully.

• Like 1

From a fellow Canadian who left Montreal because of the troubles in the 70's, may I remind you there is hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer, although I do remember we still use to hit a tennis ball with our sticks around the streets in the summer. I did and still do love baseball but I haven't played for aeons.

Came back from the shops with my daughter yesterday and happened the neighbours opposite were having a barbecue; kids about daughters age too so we got invited over. In the course of chatting while the kids played, various people I'd never met before raised the subjects of sport (World Cup coming up), history and politics :D Made me think of this thread.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, Shelley said:

From a fellow Canadian who left Montreal because of the troubles in the 70's, may I remind you there is hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer, although I do remember we still use to hit a tennis ball with our sticks around the streets in the summer. I did and still do love baseball but I haven't played for aeons.

Baseball is weird. You get this nice wooden bat and you don't smack anyone with it. Also too slow. It also needs a loud mouth with even louder suits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cherry

Also the Expos moved out ages ago.

If you can't play da 'ockey on da h'ice, you can always play street hockey. Good luck finding someone with goalie pads and willing to destroy them on pavement, those street surfaces do a number on pads.

I find it amusing that the Montreal Gazette has resorted to putting up articles on previous Canadien's Stanley Cup wins when the home team came close to last in the regular season.